'Jin-Roh' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-11-2007, 01:30 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Jin-Roh' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of 'Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade' is up. He quite enjoyed this challenging anime feature from Bandai Visual, but says it won't be everyone's cup of tea. As a Blu-ray release, this one boasts a faithful video transfer, an above-average PCM audio track and a 200+ page book of storyboards. The downside: Bandai has dropped all of the major video-based supplements from the 2002 standard DVD, making the $79 list price that much harder to swallow.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1138...lfbrigade.html
Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 AM
Former Member

I think I need to point out the wonderful usage/coinage of the term Man-Birth in the review. Very amusing.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:44 AM

Glad this came out, thanks for the review. I'm too broke thx to other titles right now but otherwise I'd probably buy. Though I haven't seen it. With all the cash I'm bleeding, I may rent first just as suggested.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM

hmmm, i'm disappointed they didn't include the interviews and video features from the SE DVD version. they're very insightful and informative for a film of this type. at least they included that book but the missing video features are a big loss. i'll pick it up anyways cuz i'm such a huge fan and i'd like to see it in HD ^^
Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM

I saw this on DVD and did not enjoy it one bit. I like quiet movies as much as the next guy, but I don't think Anime lends itself very well to this genre; this was just plain boring. The cover was very misleading . I can see how some people would enjoy it though; just not my cuppa tea. On top of this, the DVD transfer was among the worst I've ever seen, Anime or not. It's like every single freaking scene was out of focus. Really bad, glad to see that part at least is an improvement.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
On top of this, the DVD transfer was among the worst I've ever seen, Anime or not. It's like every single freaking scene was out of focus.
I concur with this part. I tried to rewatched some of the DVD recently and was shocked that so much of the picture was so filtered that it's literally out of focus. The Ghost in the Shell DVD has the same problem.

(This refers only to the DVD edition. I have not seen the Jin-Roh Blu-ray).
Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
I saw this on DVD and did not enjoy it one bit. I like quiet movies as much as the next guy, but I don't think Anime lends itself very well to this genre; this was just plain boring. The cover was very misleading . I can see how some people would enjoy it though; just not my cuppa tea.
well, this is a pure drama through and through. if people thought it was an action-packed movie, it's not. it's a great film and if you like drama or political thrillers with a lot of emotion, it's worth checking out, imo
Old 12-12-2007, 03:10 PM

I agree, it isn't your typical anime film; it is a drama and I found it to be quite effective. It wasn't what I was expecting and it was slow, but it is a very well done film. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it anywhere locally...
Old 12-12-2007, 09:56 PM

Default wow that price is insane...

What is it about Bandai and these rediculous prices...first for Wings of Hom...and now for Jin Roh. $79 wow. I'm from Canada and the merchant was actually asking over $100cdn for this title (yes we are still getting charged with a premium over US prices on lots of titles. I have actually seen Universal combo HD-DVD titles for $54Cdn in stores.)

Thank god Sony is doing a great job on other Boo-ray anime titles. Got Tekkonkinreet and Paprika on bogo free sale at amazon.com.

I hope Bandai knows that they are competing with DVD prices. This in no way makes me want to upgrade my anime DVD collection to Boo-ray/HD-DVD if its at this price.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:06 PM

That is a steep price for sure, but that is MSRP not street price. Wings had that hefty MSRP as well, but in store price locally was about $20 less. If I could find Jin Roh locally I would be able to tell you the street price for it...