'Phone Booth' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-07-2007, 01:15 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Phone Booth' - High-Def Digest Review

If you've read a number of his reviews, you've probably realized by now that Peter Bracke can be something of a contrarian. Or perhaps, more to the point, he's unafraid to give his candid assessment of a movie or filmmaker, even when it goes against popular opinion. Case in point; his recent review of 'Reservoir Dogs.'

With 'Phone Booth,' Peter praises critically-deriled director Joel Schmumaker for his daring choices, including this strange bird of a movie. While he concludes that the film ultimately disappoints, Peter enjoyed the ride most of the way.

As a Blu-ray release this one is very solid on the technical front, earning 4.5 stars (out of five) for both video and audio. Only the slim supplements package (and the film itself) drag down the overall grade.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/phonebooth.html
Old 02-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
To my great surprise, however, this 1080p/MPEG-2 transfer is actually quite slick and sharp -- enough so that it may be the best of Fox's recent batch of action releases, outclassing even 'Planet of the Apes,' 'The Usual Suspects' and 'Broken Arrow.'
*phew*

Nice!

Phone Booth, one of my favorites is one of the few movies that I really wanted to see in HD and I'm happy I own both HD DVD and BD!