'The Usual Suspects' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-07-2007, 03:42 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'The Usual Suspects' - High-Def Digest Review

Who is Keyser Soze? If price is no object, he may just be your new high-def friend. The modern classic his Blu-ray with a rave review from Peter, plus high marks for both the HD video and audio. It's a bit of a puzzler why Fox didn't include any supplements on this one (especially since they include a space-hogging 30 minutes worth of full 1080p trailers for other movies instead). Combined with Fox's $39.99 list price, this lack of extras drag down the overall grade for this otherwise promising release.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/usualsuspects.html
Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 AM

just because its MSRP is 39 doesnt mean thats what it will sell for
Old 02-07-2007, 12:36 PM

True, but the $28 "sale" price is still too high for a catalog title like this. You can get something like 'Goodfellas' for sale at $20. If Warner can do it, so can Fox/MGM.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 PM

indeed .
Old 01-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Was anyone else surprised at the video quality at some points in this movie? In the scene where they are talking to Kobeyashi (the red pool room) there are blocks of artifacts constantly moving around on the wall. I couldn't even pay attention to what was going on it was so distracting. That and the lack of any extras make this a sour purchase for me.

Hopefully there will be a disc replacement program on this one
Old 05-12-2008, 03:25 AM

$40 and $28 are too much for this barebones release...but what about $15?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
$40 and $28 are too much for this barebones release...but what about $15?
Someone netter this dog or tell him to stay in his own yard!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:59 AM

How about you conduct a spellcheck (I don't care about any deficiencies you may possess, built-in spellchecks aren't hard to come by and they make your mock postings easier to read) before post submission, get on-topic and stop being a sore winner? I've been posting here since I got a Blu-ray player in December and already have 35 posts here (you're a little late to the party, pal). None of this implies I have to be some format cheerleader in your hallowed <sic> presence. Conversely, why don't YOU take your uncalled for neutered dogshit to the smackdown forum?

Now, how bout we get on-topic? Based on the review, it appears this might be worth the current sale price. I'm a little hesitant about the fact that it's using a BD25 AND MPEG-2, in addition to that report above of the presence of some compression artifacts. There's not a lot of feedback here to make any definitive conclusions, though.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:56 AM

I got this from Amazon BOGO. I think the transfer suffers a bit from the source (people forget that this was a lower budget film) but it looks and sounds better than any of the DVD releases. I'm glad I picked this up because its still one of my favorite movies.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
I got this from Amazon BOGO. I think the transfer suffers a bit from the source (people forget that this was a lower budget film) but it looks and sounds better than any of the DVD releases. I'm glad I picked this up because its still one of my favorite movies.
I dont think this is a title you can play the 'lower budget excuses not stellar transfer' card on. Its just like a lot of early release and just not particularly done well. Terminator is 11 years older and was shot on a shoestring and has a better transfer IMO.

This is a title that will absolutely have a double dip with the special features added back and they will probably remaster the print and it will look fantastic, and we will all wonder why its wasnt done like this the first time.

The simple answer is this was an early title that was thrown out there in the early days of the war when blu ray authoring was still in its infancy. You may be happy now with your barebones purchase but when the proper version is released you'll wonder why you didnt stick with your SD upscaled version a bit longer. You wont be alone though all early adopters, me included, have bought our favourite movies some with sub par transfers and will be hit with the double dips sooner or later.