Blu-Ray storage for full TV seasons in SD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Blu-Ray storage for full TV seasons in SD?

Anyone game for this? Is this something you would buy to save space?

I know we would all love to see all our favorite TV shows remastered for HD and some already are recorded in HD. But for those shows like say Seinfeld. Why not put a whole season on one BD50 or HD30 and save me the space in my collections. Lets not kid ourselves, do we really think Seinfeld and all its episodes will be remastered for Hi-Def. Maybe something like say X-files might.

So it would be SD MPEG2 content on a Hi-Def disc. I know its possible since the supplements are done like this. I just wonder if the DVD player can be made to upconvert the content on Hi-Def it as it does when a regular DVD is inserted. This is the part I am not so sure about. Maybe thats the holdback.

I read alot of trade magazines and TV show DVD sales are down. I really think it has to do with people running out of space and starting to ask/saying to themselves:

"Do I really need ALL the seasons?"
"Maybe I will just stop at 1st or 2nd seasons"
"I'll wait til they release them all on one disc someday" - this ones me

Just a thought...
Old 12-03-2007, 05:05 PM

i would be interested in this. when i first heard about blu-rays capacity i thought this would be a great idea to save space, like an entire season (like "seinfeld"), or series (like "surface," a short run show) on one disc.

however, i would only buy if it was stated explicitly that the series would never be remastered for high-definition.

i currently don't buy tv on dvd because i wait for "the complete series" box sets. and now you almost have to wait to see if things will come out on blu-ray.

i want to get the seinfeld complete series box set, but want word that it will not come out on blu-ray at all. I bought all the x-files seasons and now there is a cool complete series box set. i am waiting to buy the 4400 till there is a complete series boxset or hopefully blu-ray release. also waiting to buy a complete series of lost or heroes when they are done.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 PM

I'd settle for Deadwood or Band Of Brothers in standard def all on one or two discs) as these looked fantastic upscaled anyway!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 PM

I already have most of the shows I want in SD. For some I guess some may want this, but if I am going to buy a show on BD or HD, I want it to be in high def. The whole reason I bought my HD-A35 and one of the main reasons why I bought my PS3 (besides playing the games as well) is so I can watch my movies/shows in high definition.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 PM

It's a waste of space IMHO... HD or nothing, even if it's the crappiest thing on earth

OF COURSE.. Video transfert, nothing can be done (Series filmed in Video mode at 640x480), then it's doable, but i won't buy them, since i can have them at 19.99$ for a whole season... LOL