The Dark Crystal - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 PM

Default The Dark Crystal

Has anyone heard any whispers or rumors when the Dark Crystal might be coming out? I've been looking around and haven't really seen or heard anything in regards to this.

For those of you that haven't seen it or heard about this movie, it's a Jim Henson (Frank Oz) creation that came out in 1982. Pretty dark and melancholy animation, at least that's what I remembered of it from watching it as a kid. The Skeksis were pretty frightening looking creatures, from what I recall. I think this would look really good in high-definition should they choose to put some work behind it.

At any rate, if anyone has heard anything remotely vague about this one hitting BD, please let me know. Looking forward to seeing this one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083791/
Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM

I'm assuming the new sd dvd is mastered in hd so it should look really good. Of course it's not a Blu-Ray, but you'd be surprised. It just came out. But I'm sure you knew that.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I'm assuming the new sd dvd is mastered in hd so it should look really good. Of course it's not a Blu-Ray, but you'd be surprised. It just came out. But I'm sure you knew that.
Aye mate, that's why I was kind of holding off. Hoping that they release a BD version. How does it look, do you have it Arkadin?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 PM

You know that's a tough call. I mean it could be announced tomorrow for all we know. I don't have it myself, but I did check it over the other day. I mean it will definitely come out on bd, and I'd say sooner rather than later. If you really like this movie, I'd say go ahead and get it. I went ahead and got the HD mastered "Taxi Driver" because, while it will definitely be coming to hd disc eventually, I didn't feel like waiting indefinitely to see the hd mastered version. Any movie that comes out on dvd now with a new hd mastered transfer that I really like, I just go ahead and get it.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 PM

I guess that I'll just wait until the BD comes out. I don't really feel like double dipping, but this would be one movie that I would do it for, hmm. Speaking of good movies, Taxi Driver is right up there - nice choice. I really thought DeNiro was quite phenomenal in that movie. It's a classic with me as well.

Travis says, "I think someone should just take this city and just... just flush it down the fuckin' toilet."

Couldn't resist...haha.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 PM

you know I noticed that BB has it for $8.99 right now. that's a pretty good deal.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 PM

Is the HD mastered version the one that is in superbit or is it the 25th aniversary edition? I know superbit is not even close to HD, but I got Das Boot and The Guns of Navarone and they both look spectacular. At the least, it would be interesting to compare a superbit title to a BD title at some point I would think.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:53 PM

It's the brand new one with the hologram looking thing on the front.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
you know I noticed that BB has it for $8.99 right now. that's a pretty good deal.
Hot damn. That's a killer deal. A hologram and at a $8.99 price point? I'm in!!!

I'll go check for it this weekend, thanks for the heads up Arkadin.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scripture View Post
Hot damn. That's a killer deal. A hologram and at a $8.99 price point? I'm in!!!

I'll go check for it this weekend, thanks for the heads up Arkadin.
Just to expand upon the $8.99 thing... They are having a BOGO on titles, and The Dark Crystal @ $8.99 is accidentally (or maybe not) included along with some other gems such as the Dr. Strangelove (also $8.99) SE. I plan on picking those two up with in-store pick-up.