And the loser in the format war is... me. - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6
Thumbs down And the loser in the format war is... me.

Ok. I have to admit, when I saw that Casino Royale was going to be out in Blu-ray, I could kinda pretend I wasn't interested, but nobody was convinced. So I managed to get a Dell machine with a BD player in it. Came with a couple of titles - 50 first dates (funnier than I expected) and some forgettable nature film.

Casino Royale: Has five minutes of scenes in it which look better in BD than on DVD. Otherwise, can't really see a difference. The scene with the seaplane landing in the bahamas is breathtaking, but.. that's about all I noticed.

Fifth Element: LOVE this movie. Was kinda unimpressed with the quality, though - didn't look really any better than the plain DVD, and probably a little worse than the superbit I picked up a couple years back. (Found out sony recalled that, along with half a dozen other titles, for simply looking like boiled ass - you can get a free replacement if you mail them your disc)

But anyhow, all this will look great on my desktop monitor, right? 24 inches of gorgeous LCD in a softy-lit room? Nope. Apparently, my $1,200 display doesn't have the right implementation of HDCP, so it blocks the output.

Now, I have to admit, the first Fantastic 4 movie was awful. And I had such low expectations for the sequel that I skipped it in the theaters, but someone gave me the Blu-Ray version, which got terrific write-ups.

Only one problem: Even after spending an hour downloading and installing an upgrade for the player software (which, thankfully, doesn't seem to have bricked my computer), I can't play it. Googling says I'm not the only one, and gave me a good list of other titles to avoid, until they come out with another firmware upgrade which hopefully won't turn my computer into crap. Maybe in a couple of weeks they might have a fix which of course, might or might not work. Maybe.

So. Couple grand for a computer. A grand or so for a display. Couple hundred bucks for movies. And the big payoff: Maybe 30 seonds of "wow!" and a handy supply of coffee coasters.

Not really interested in the HD-DVD thing; burn me once, shame on me, and all. Both formats are stinking to high heaven of Divx (the company) right now.

I'm going back to my $120 upconverting DVD player, which plays movies, doesn't require a PHD and a ten-page caveat list with every movie, and plays just fine on every display I hook it to.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 PM
ScorpionKingCT's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 244
Default

I can see your point, I guess we are all big movie fans. I have to watch the best of the best on HD-DVD or blu-Ray on the 65 Inch. Its my child I never had.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Ok. I have to admit, when I saw that Casino Royale was going to be out in Blu-ray, I could kinda pretend I wasn't interested, but nobody was convinced. So I managed to get a Dell machine with a BD player in it. Came with a couple of titles - 50 first dates (funnier than I expected) and some forgettable nature film.

Casino Royale: Has five minutes of scenes in it which look better in BD than on DVD. Otherwise, can't really see a difference. The scene with the seaplane landing in the bahamas is breathtaking, but.. that's about all I noticed.

Fifth Element: LOVE this movie. Was kinda unimpressed with the quality, though - didn't look really any better than the plain DVD, and probably a little worse than the superbit I picked up a couple years back. (Found out sony recalled that, along with half a dozen other titles, for simply looking like boiled ass - you can get a free replacement if you mail them your disc)

But anyhow, all this will look great on my desktop monitor, right? 24 inches of gorgeous LCD in a softy-lit room? Nope. Apparently, my $1,200 display doesn't have the right implementation of HDCP, so it blocks the output.

Now, I have to admit, the first Fantastic 4 movie was awful. And I had such low expectations for the sequel that I skipped it in the theaters, but someone gave me the Blu-Ray version, which got terrific write-ups.

Only one problem: Even after spending an hour downloading and installing an upgrade for the player software (which, thankfully, doesn't seem to have bricked my computer), I can't play it. Googling says I'm not the only one, and gave me a good list of other titles to avoid, until they come out with another firmware upgrade which hopefully won't turn my computer into crap. Maybe in a couple of weeks they might have a fix which of course, might or might not work. Maybe.

So. Couple grand for a computer. A grand or so for a display. Couple hundred bucks for movies. And the big payoff: Maybe 30 seonds of "wow!" and a handy supply of coffee coasters.

Not really interested in the HD-DVD thing; burn me once, shame on me, and all. Both formats are stinking to high heaven of Divx (the company) right now.

I'm going back to my $120 upconverting DVD player, which plays movies, doesn't require a PHD and a ten-page caveat list with every movie, and plays just fine on every display I hook it to.

I guess I can see your point too.

I do think most Blu-rays look at least a little better, if not quite better. I know the audio is usually better too. It would be nice if the prices where a little lower then they are. I know Wal-mart has the new low cost HDVD player. This war might go on forever. I do think both sides have their good and bad.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-2007, 04:44 PM
ScorpionKingCT's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 244
Default

Id have to say 85%+ are way better than SD-DVD audio and picture. Its worth it for me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-2007, 04:46 PM
ccphilly1984's Avatar
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,879
Default

wow... this should be ins smackdown forums... just reword the title "screw hd and bd" and start arguing your points with most of the people on this forum... I'd be sitting there with popcorn pratiiculary looking at the sony fanboys that will try to convince you otherwise. i like using some of my blu rays as frisbees... you know cause they are "scratch proof" cars is a real good candidate for it... lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-bird View Post
I guess I can see your point too.

I do think most Blu-rays look at least a little better, if not quite better. I know the audio is usually better too. It would be nice if the prices where a little lower then they are. I know Wal-mart has the new low cost HDVD player. This war might go on forever. I do think both sides have their good and bad.
I'm feeling underwhelmed right now. When I went from VHS to Laserdisc, the difference was quite visible - and it added surround sound plus some had a director's commentary.

Going from LD to DVD, I got a better, more practical medium (anyone remember "laser rot"?), and a vastly improved picture, which *still* looks good, even upconverted into 1080p and tossed on a 100+ inch screen.

Going from DVD to BR (and I'm assuming HD-DVD is just as delightful), I get an occasional gain in video quality, but massive compatibility issues - which are expected to be a permanent feature in the market, along with buying a new player every time a bad firmware gets pushed out, or my connection lags while it's updating, or the power sags, or my cat hits the eject button while it's flashing the BIOS...

At least when Divx tried to pitch their product, they had a selling point: a Divx disc usually cost about half what the same title cost on DVD. Now, it's like the same concept, but it's 30-50% more cost, too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
But anyhow, all this will look great on my desktop monitor, right? 24 inches of gorgeous LCD in a softy-lit room? Nope. Apparently, my $1,200 display doesn't have the right implementation of HDCP, so it blocks the output.
So what exactly are you watching the movies on? If you can't see any difference with Casino Royale, you're not actually watching the movie in High Definition.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be..

Last edited by Josh Z; 12-01-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Fifth Element: LOVE this movie. Was kinda unimpressed with the quality, though - didn't look really any better than the plain DVD, and probably a little worse than the superbit I picked up a couple years back. (Found out sony recalled that, along with half a dozen other titles, for simply looking like boiled ass - you can get a free replacement if you mail them your disc)
Sony didn't "recall" The Fifth Element, they simply let it go out of print and then re-released a new remastered version. Also, they did not do this with "half a dozen other titles" -- The Fifth Element was the only one.

It sounds to me like you're just one of those people who, for whatever reason, can't really see the difference between SD and HD. For me, it's the opposite. The difference is obvious and huge in every movie I watch.

Also, not to dismiss your hardware problems, but really, you should have gotten a PS3. Mine has worked perfectly for the nearly 9 months I've had it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-30-2007, 05:40 PM
irrob's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
So what exactly are you watching the movies on? If you can't see any different with Casino Royale, you're not actually watching the movie in High Definition.
I'm with Josh here. The difference between the SD and HD version is astounding. Your current set up is in question.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 PM
aaronwt's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,342
Default

I can even see a diiference on my 21inch monitor and of course my 37", 61" , and 65" HDTVs. The difference between SD and HD is pretty obvious, especially with Casino Royale.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E3's biggest loser? It's Sony. chipvideo Gaming Smackdown 170 06-27-2010 05:44 AM
The Unfinished Format Wins - Microsoft The Big Loser - Sony Wins On Two Fronts gijoela High Definition Smackdown 66 02-16-2008 04:36 PM
Audioholics Article - Blu-ray: After the Format War Will there be Format Civil War? mikemorel High Definition Smackdown 191 02-06-2008 01:06 PM
The Loser... redfirebird2008 High Definition Smackdown 9 11-02-2007 03:33 AM
Blu-Ray Vs. HD-DVD? One side is a bigger loser, which are you? LittleSquirrel High Definition Smackdown 22 06-01-2007 10:10 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off