jed
    jed is offline HDD Founder

Default 'Ocean's Trilogy' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of the 'Ocean's Trilogy' box set is up. As a fan of the series, he was pleased to see all three films hit Blu-ray as part of this technically proficient package. Unfortunately, he says director Steven Soderbergh's unique aesthetics rob this package of the kind of luster common to the best next-gen disc releases.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1125/oceansgiftset.html

metatron is offline Member

nice. got that set. )))
    Pioneer PDP-LX608D / Pioneer VSX-LX70 / KEF KHT-3005 / PS3 40 GB [RB] / PS3 60 GB [RC] / Thomson DSI-4000NTV / Samsung HD850
    BD: 210 / PS3: 27

My Collection

kak
    kak is offline Member

I'm waiting for Oceans Eleven to be released on its own. The other two weren't nearly as good. Twelve felt like it was done for their own humor and 13 was over before it began.

Hemoo is offline Member

still don't know why they call it "gift set".
    JVC RS40 3D/ 114" Da-Lite Screen (1.3)
    Onkyo Reciever TX-SR876/ 7.1 Jamo THX Speakers
    OPPO 93
    PS3/XBOX 360+ HD DVD add on/Wii

Jakkis is offline Member

In Europe you can buy these films individually.

fitprod is offline Member

I just got around to to watching Ocean's 12 Blu-ray and whoever approved this master/encode should be shot. I've seen so many HD masters and HD Discs, there's no other excuse than someone used some digital filtering and over compression to create this disc.

The dark scenes, while they may include crushed blacks have been processed somehow. There should never be this much pulsing in any release. Even copy protection on DVD's don't screw up discs this bad.

fitprod

Sunny is offline Member

I've been very interesting in buying this and the Mission Impossible boxed set as well.
    Sell me your used BDs!!
    PSN: KillaWabbit
    My old-skool setup:
    Sony E50A10
    Onkyo SR605 @ 5.1 using HDMI
    Sony PS3 60gb, Verizon FIOS programming w/ 160gb DVR
    KEF floor/center speakers, Boston Acoustics bookshelf surround, Mirage cube subwoofer
    Sennheiser RS130 wireless headphones
    iJoy 250 massage chair w/ foot massager

redlum is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
    I just got around to to watching Ocean's 12 Blu-ray and whoever approved this master/encode should be shot. I've seen so many HD masters and HD Discs, there's no other excuse than someone used some digital filtering and over compression to create this disc.

The dark scenes, while they may include crushed blacks have been processed somehow. There should never be this much pulsing in any release. Even copy protection on DVD's don't screw up discs this bad.

fitprod
    Would you say Oceans 13's transfer suffered from the same problem? Because I'm sick of people mistaking Soderbergh's aesthetic intent for a bad transfer. This is how he inteded the film to look, you just cant see it on the standard definition release because the lower resolution and harsher compression disguise the way the artficial enchancements have accentuated film grain.

Go figure: that's why the review here says Ocean's 11 has the best "transfer". It was the film whose palette was the least exaggerated (if at all).

In DVD review vernacular, the quality of a transfer should be graded on the preservation of the director and cinematographers original intent (as found in the master-print) not how useful a DVD is at demonstrating your home-cinema.

fitprod is offline Member

Grain is one thing, but the bizarre color shift/pulsing issue is something I've never seen on a transfer before. I finished off Ocean's 13 and it has the same problem as Ocean's 12, but there were not as many scenes that suffered this problem.

I'd agree that Ocean's 11 is the best transfer of the bunch. In today's day and age, the overall quality of this set is pretty much in-excusable.

fitprod

beyondmediaonline.com is offline Formerly candymangt

$49.99 @ Best Buy this week for the gift set, I am considering purchasing this since these were some entertaining movies.
    Beyond Media Online - Get your alternative Blu-ray and DVD Reviews