Live Free or DieHard Dubbing. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-29-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Live Free or DieHard Dubbing.

Wasn't sure where to post this..

anyway..

I was wondering how many people have watched the "unrated" version of Live Free or DieHard?

I just got done watching, and have to say, the addition of cursing was done pretty horribly at times.. when you couldn't actually see the character's face when he cursed, there was a distinct change in the audio... not as bad as like, tv overdubbing, but still, it was there.

All they added was "fuck" in a bunch of places... they still say the same cursing as the original, just added "fuck" where ever they could when the character who was talking was off camera..

I'm gonna watch the rated version tomorrow (sd, gonna buy the blu-ray pack later) to see what differences I could notice.

Anyone else get distracted by this?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 AM

Yes i noticed it right away and thought it was lame. Sometimes the voices didn't even match in loudness or the second swear was very fast just to get it in there.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 AM

Well fuck.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 AM

That's a problem with producing a film with the intent of it being PG-13. You cannot undo it, without it looking unnatural.

It's one thing to make edits...another to shoot it PG-13.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:32 AM

WTF?? Don't they usually cut the bad stuff out to get a lower rating? I've never heard of them adding stuff in before. I watched the PG-13 version of the theatrical release this wknd on SD-DVD and I noticed spots where the bad stuff was removed.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
WTF?? Don't they usually cut the bad stuff out to get a lower rating? I've never heard of them adding stuff in before. I watched the PG-13 version of the theatrical release this wknd on SD-DVD and I noticed spots where the bad stuff was removed.
i just did some comparisons of both in a lot of spots i noticed were particularly bad.. there's actually spots in BOTH versions where the dubbing is really bad.. in the rated version, after the power plant explodes, there's a spot where they're talking about "winning" where is sounds like they dubbed over to remove stuff.. that's in the unrated version too... they didn't actually remove anything from the rated version, they just added stuff to the "unrated" one to put in more cursing when talking person was off camera or not in focus.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 AM

also, seems to be times when they actually shot 2 scenes, one with cursing, one without.. one scene i caught as such, is the one right after John finds out they're going to get his daughter, and he's leaving that guys basement.. at the car, in one version, he says he's gonna go "kill this mutherfucker and get my daughter back, or get my daugher back, and kill this mutherfucker"... in the other.. he just says "I'm gonna go kill this guy and get my daughter back".. no dubbing.. obviously 2 different shots...

I'd have to say tho, anyone NOT getting the blu-ray b/c it's "rated".. doesn't look like you need to worry about it.. they're basically the same movie.. like I said in another thread.. if you're going to call something "unrated" or "director's cut".. make a big enough difference to matter.. like they did with Kingdom of Heaven.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 AM

see what happens when you post something with out knowledge if you were a fan of bruce willis you would know that the Unrated version is the actual movie and the pg-13 was the cut down , they actually dubbed the pg -13 version, their was no intention to make die hard 4 pg-13 they were shooting a R rated film and Fox half way through productions decided on a pg 13.

Bruce willis literetly cursed in every scene he could. And when they told him they were going for pg -13 he cursed some more
Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 AM

dude, I just watched it, if there was supposed to be so much cursing in the original version, why isn't there more shots of them actually cursing... over half of the extra cursing is dubbed in when you can't see the talker's face..

I'm literally comparing shots in both versions as we speak.. some of the "dubbed" parts in the rated version are exactly the same in the unrated version..
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 AM

becuause fox literatly fucked up ?

I am telling you i saw interviews , heck Bruce willis in every interview , Tonigth show , lakers game , baseball games curses constantly and was drunk.

And in interviews he said " he would curse constantly even when he didn't have lines.

The intention was R rated from the go , it was half way through production that Fox declared the movie PG-13

they were planning to do the same thing to alien vs predator requiem , but i guess they lost that battle thank goodness