'The Omega Man' - High-Def Digest - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-28-2007, 01:05 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'The Omega Man' - High-Def Digest

Just posted Peter's review of 'The Omega Man,' the third film in Charlton Heston's infamous "doomsday" trilogy. He says the highlight of this Blu-ray release is a surprisingly robust video transfer, but it's not enough to make up for the decidedly retro audio and wafer-thin extras.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1063/omegaman.html
Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM

Note the single 25 gb disc for Blu...The 30 gb dual layer for HD DVD.

I'm just saying is all! Seems like both releases are identical unless I'm missing something.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM

Default "The Omega Man" is a great movie

"The Omega Man" is a great movie. It's a movie that resonated with a society living under the threat of annihilation. Heston was great, and it's a sort of ultimate "what-if?" story. Both the music score and direction by Boris Sagal were excellent and using location shooting in downtown L.A. on the weekends (!) to give the film it's empty appearance was brilliant. I wonder if Bracke even watched the film.

Neville (Heston) wasn't the creator of the biological agents that killed most everyone, he was a military scientist tasked with coming up with a cure. The cause was an escalating border war between the U.S.S.R. and China.

The 1970's style and culture was very noticable in the film because, I know this will astound you, it was MADE IN THE 1970's!!!

Movies that come out today reflect the current styles and cultures and will appear very dated and "hokey" 40 years from now.

Loved the film as a kid and still love it today.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
Neville (Heston) wasn't the creator of the biological agents that killed most everyone, he was a military scientist tasked with coming up with a cure. The cause was an escalating border war between the U.S.S.R. and China.
Indeed. Some of the reviews on this site are so chock full of inaccuracies that it makes me wonderf the reviewer has actually watched the film at all, or just read the synopsis on the back of the box.

Quote:
Dr. Robert Neville, a man hired by the government to develop an experimental bio-weapon. As is usually the case in films like this, the experiment went terribly wrong, and has left the entire planet radiated.
Total invention I'm afraid. This sounds like the synopsis from a different film entirely.

Quote:
Luckily for Chuck, his doomed existence will improve when he stumbles upon a small cadre of surviving humans, aka "The Family."
Er... no, "The Family" are the homicidal manics trying to kill him.

Quote:
Neville sets about finding a cure for the disease he helped to create
Firstly he already found a cure two years earlier (in 1975), that's why he's immune, secondly, since he's immune, his blood is a source of anti-bodies, thirdly, he didn't create the disease!

Quote:
with many of the gigantic afro-sporting monsters
The only member of The Family with an Afro is Lincoln Kilpatrick (Zachary), unless you count Rosalind Cash's transformation at the end of the film. And the mutants are all of average height.

Quote:
as the mishmash of philosophical dialogue lifted right from Matheson's work
Practically none of the dialogue is from the original novel. This statement sounds more like a guess to me.

Quote:
forced to hole up in a compound designed to keep the legions of scarred (and very pissed off) mutants at bay.
Not a compound but Neville's home from before the war.

Sorry to harp on about this but it's hard to take a review seriously with so many obvious errors.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:49 PM

WOW!!! Horrible review with a TON of inaccuracies.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:41 AM

I watched this film tonight after getting it for $7 from Amazon. All the parts with the albinos are really annoying. Crazy hippie anarchists (in bad makeup) just had me rolling my eyes over and over. But the scenes without them are enjoyable... I found the ending pretty lame and unsatisfying though.
I guess I could see myself watching the movie again, if only to show friends as an interesting prelude to I Am Legend.

Last edited by eastx; 08-29-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:12 AM

This movie is excellent compared to the I Am Legend version of Matheson's book. However, I would strongly urge you to watch the Last Man on Earth as it is a much better title, and closer to the original book. However, there still hasn't been an accurate depiction of Mr. Matheson's book. Which I would also urge you to read.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 PM

While Last Man On Earth is closer to the book I definitely don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy watching and re-watching The Omega Man. Omega Man does have some cheese factor that Last Man doesn't have (but not too much lol). I'm also not a Vincent Price fan, his acting has always annoyed me (sorry Price fans) and I can't think of one movie with Heston in it that I don't dig.

The actual book is great and I would like to see a faithful adaption of the book.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 AM

The Omega Man fucking owns I Am Legend.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:20 AM

Are you guys saying the villains don't annoy you in this movie? I know they look fake in I Am Legend due to the bad CG, but at least they don't spout nonsense the whole time they're on-screen.