'Across the Universe' -- pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-27-2007, 02:29 PM
PeterB

Default 'Across the Universe' -- pre-release buzz

Sony has set a February 5, 2008, debut for 'Across the Universe' on Blu-ray and DVD:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/acrosstheuniverse.html

Specs aren't in yet, but the DVD will be a two-disc set, so we expect at least some if not hopefully all of those extras will make it over to the Blu-ray.

Retail is $38.95...
Old 11-27-2007, 03:27 PM

damn, it will be region coded. will wait for eu release.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:00 PM

Hopefully one of the extras will be a decent version of the film.

From the get go on this movie I felt like I'd done something horrible to the Beatles and this was their revenge on me.

The movie's a waste of time to anyone who loves the Beatles, and perfect for anyone who just wants a so-so musical for their collection.

I'd love to hear from a Beatles fan who DID like the movie and find out what they found so great about it, because I found the movie derivative, boring, plain, and uninspired.

The ONLY two musical numbers that held my interest were Happiness is a Warm Gun and I Want You (She's So Heavy) and that was mostly because it was the only segment that kept any underlying plotline throughout the whole scene.

I'm not kidding, they could've made this film about completely unrelated characters in different time periods and it would've been better.

Sadie and JoJo love each other? Then hate each other? WTF?

And Prudence's character felt insulting the entire run time.

Again, anyone that liked this film, step up and please illuminate me to what I was missing out on...
Old 11-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Wanted to catch this in theaters, but missed it. I'll probaly give it a rent first. While some musicals have been pretty good (Hairspray), others are just plain annoying (the over-singing fest known as Dreamgirls).
Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Dvddesign, I'm a huge Beatles fan and absolutely loved the film. In fact, I can't see how anyone who even remotely enjoys The Beatles would hate this film. A lot of people I've talked to now love The Beatles because of this movie. Maybe it was just you?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvddesign View Post
Again, anyone that liked this film, step up and please illuminate me to what I was missing out on...
I actually went into this expecting disaster, from all the pre-release drama. But I ended up enjoying it, by and large. There are parts that are good, parts that are really wonderful, and a few bits that are excruciatingly bad. Taymor goes for the obvious visual too often, and there are scenes that go nowhere and add nothing to the plot. What I liked, though, was hearing the songs in a new context. In all the Beatles BS that we've lived with for 40 years, you forget that they wrote REALLY GREAT POP SONGS. Hearing them in a new way, and by and large well-sung, was a nice reminder of that.

It's a movie that has sort of grown on me since I saw it. It's kind of a mess, but it's an ambitious and interesting mess, and that's more than I can say about 90 percent of the crap in theaters these days.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:55 PM

This is my most wanted title right now on BD. I really love it and I can't wait to buy the disc and take the ride - this was the best trip in 2007 untill now. I believe that the best movie of 2007 will be 'There Will Be Blood'.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:57 PM

I loved this film. It isn't exactly flawless, but I couldn't help but enjoy it, I felt really happy afterwards and was humming some of the songs. I'm also a huge Beatles fan. If I can't afford to go neutral by then, I'll buy the DVD.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 PM

I missed it in theaters and am looking forward to renting the Blu-ray. I was pretty interested in seeing it but unfortunately just didn't get the chance. The only thing I'm wary of is that it was directed by Julie Taymor, who can be quite visionary but has had difficulty transitioning from stage to screen. I thought that her version of Titus was an awful film. I hope that Across the Universe proves to be much better.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:07 PM

absolutely love this film and I'm a HUGE Beatles fan. As for the poster's comments about the Sadie/Jo-Jo thing...they got in a fight because she dumped him as her guitar player...I thought that was pretty self explanatory, unless you are talking about something else then I apologize. I saw this 4 times in the theater and have every intention of picking this up on the day of release in blu and possibly SD too.