'Rescue Dawn' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-26-2007, 12:12 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Rescue Dawn' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of 'Rescue Dawn' is up. He says this one's quite strong as a Blu-ray release, boasting an excellent video transfer, a convincing DTS HD MA audio track and a nice collection of supplemental features.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1167/rescuedawn.html
Old 11-26-2007, 12:24 PM

Kenneth --

Is purple fringing around high contrast shots visible in the Blu-ray edition?

Specifically, the helicopter against the sky towards the end of the film. The sky is washed-out white in that shot and the chopper is almost silouhette, but there was a severe amount of purple fringing in the theatrical presentation.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:34 PM

looks awesome, is it region free?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:46 PM

I'm going to get this movie. Since I'm new to the Blu scene, how will my PS3 handle the DTS HD MA audio track? It's my understanding that the PS3 can't decode this natively yet. Am I right to assume it'll just send it out as PCM?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Kenneth --

Is purple fringing around high contrast shots visible in the Blu-ray edition?

Specifically, the helicopter against the sky towards the end of the film. The sky is washed-out white in that shot and the chopper is almost silouhette, but there was a severe amount of purple fringing in the theatrical presentation.
I just went back and revisited a few high-contrast scenes in 'Rescue Dawn.' I definitely didn't catch any severe purple fringing, even when I scoured the last ten minutes of the film. I caught a very minimal amount here and there, but it's tough to tell what's fringing and what's a trick of the eye when you're staring at high contrast edges for several minutes. Either way, there isn't a significant amount that would detract from the image quality.

For anyone worrying, take a breath. The slight purple fringing we're discussing would be attributed to the original print -- not the Blu-ray transfer. For those of you asking yourself, "what's purple fringing?" Check out this page on Wikipedia for a decent explanation and some photos that illustrate the effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing

Thanks as always for posting!
Old 11-26-2007, 01:28 PM

Ken,

Thanks for the reply. It probably stuck out in my mind because I arrived late to the showing and ended up sitting way up front for the film when I saw it this summer. I'm pretty sensitive to the effect from encountering it in digital photography (I have an old, cheap 135mm f/2.5 lens that is a purlple fringing machine).

I was pretty shocked to see it, and at first thought it might be a case of the film being shot digitally (it wasn't; it was a 35mm shoot), but more likely it was a combination of the angle of the shot, the light that day, and perhaps poor multicoating on the lens that was on the camera.

It was only in two or three shots that I can remember; certainly no reason not to pick up the film. I was just curious to see if they had cleaned up it at all (it's relatively easy to do on a digital photo, would take some frame-by-frame detail work to do on a motion picture).

DeepDiscount hasn't shipped out my order with the disc yet, but I'll definitely give it a look when it arrives.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-26-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaustus View Post
I'm going to get this movie. Since I'm new to the Blu scene, how will my PS3 handle the DTS HD MA audio track? It's my understanding that the PS3 can't decode this natively yet. Am I right to assume it'll just send it out as PCM?
The PS3 will extract the standard DTS "core" from a Master Audio track.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:13 PM

I watched this movie this past weekend and I have to say I thought it was an excellent movie. I was very impressed with the pq. This movie is a great example of just because it may not do that well in the box office, does not mean it is a bad movie. Oscar nod for Bale,imho.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 PM

I agree with everything written in this review. It was a blind buy for me, and I was very happy with the choice!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:46 PM

Damn, this makes me want a PS3! Any hope of a HD import?