Disney/Dali "Destino" Blu-Ray potentially in works? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-25-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Disney/Dali "Destino" Blu-Ray potentially in works?

Just checked up on some news over at ultimatedisney.com and there is a blurb for a DVD release date sometime in 2008 for DESTINO, the Walt Disney/Salvador Dali short film that was finally completed in 2003. With Disney being in the Blu-Ray exclusivity camp, and with the announcent of animated Disney flicks like Sleeping Beauty and Tinkerbell hitting the market next year... how long do you think before the Disney company gets off its lazy butt and releases Destino on hi-def?

Seriously, the film is visually gorgeous, with cgi used to smooth out the hand drawn animation. Since it was completed in 2003 and already in hi-resolution, it would be madness not to get this out to the Blu-Ray camp. Home Theatre buffs would eat this stuff up and its just the kind of punch that Disney needs to put out along with the kid friendly films to show that they still have a foothold among the more adult-friendly film collecting consumers, even in the hi-def world (obviously they have the wonderful Pirates of the Carribean Blu-Rays to help out with that).

still, with most of the release dates on that list at ultimatedisney.com also being released on Blu-Ray as well as standard def DVD, do you think Destino could potentially receive a High-Def release?

sorry for being on a soapbox about it, but its a mild obsession, you know.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Destino is probably the most beautiful piece of Disney work I've ever seen! Unfortunately gven its approx 10minute run time I can't see how a Blu ray release would be warranted. I doubt it will sell many DVD's let alone High Def!

It would be nice for it to appear at all as I think it was meant to be released this year.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:14 PM

lol, well obviously 10 minutes of footage wouldn't really warrent a 50gigabyte release :-P. However, i'm sure they've compiled lots of documentaries at this point on salvador dali and walt disney to be used for bonus content. I would see it being released as a part of a collection of course, but i'm sure Destino would make it in the title of the release, given its prominence and importance as its one of the longest delayed films to ever be completed. I'm sure a re-release of fantasia might warrent Destino as a blu-ray incentive extra if they chose to go that route.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidpossum View Post
lol, well obviously 10 minutes of footage wouldn't really warrent a 50gigabyte release :-P.
Uncompressed video, here we come! Unfortunately, uncompressed 1080p video takes up 8.34 GB per minute, so even 50GB isn't enough.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM

Buena Vista has finally revealed it's 8th wave of Walt Disney Treasures titles, due on 11/11. They'll include Destino, The Chronological Donald: Volume 4 and the long awaited Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow. Each will be a 2-disc set in metal tin packaging and will be available for a limited time (SRP $32.99 each). Destino is an animated film that began in 1946 as a collaboration between Walt Disney and artist Salvador Dali, but was never finished. It was recently rediscovered by Roy Disney, who saw to it that it was completed.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:24 PM

Default Disney/Dali "Destino" to be included in the Fantasia set Blu-Ray release in Nov. 2010

Exciting news! Disney will release Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 on blu-ray at the end of November . . . and they are including "Destino" in the bonus features!

Disney has officially announced the Blu-ray debuts of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 for November 30th. Originally primed for the Diamond Edition line, the musical animated features will instead be released as a 2 Movie Collection in a 4-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray + DVD Combo ($45.99 SRP)

Rather than delivering the advertised Fantasia World that was believed to have compiled a number of recent unavailable Disney shorts, the movies will be joined only by the Oscar-nominated Walt Disney/Salvador Dali collaboration Destino completed in 2003 and only on Blu-ray. Other Blu-ray exclusives include the documentary "Dali & Disney: A Date with Destino", BD-Live feature "Disney's Virtual Vault", an interactive art gallery, DisneyView sidebar art, and detailed notes from the newly-discovered Schultheis Notebook. Available on both the Blu-ray and DVD discs are audio commentaries and the featurettes "Disney Family Museum" and "Musicana: Walt's Inspiration for aFantasia Sequel".