Potc - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-24-2007, 09:30 PM

Question Potc

I may have missed this a while back, so I'm asking all of you for help. I'm sure you remember a while back POTC had a framing issue. Has anyone heard anythin back from Disney on this? I want to buy this, however I'm holding off hoping for a fixed version. If there is no news that anyone knows of then I'll be buying it anyway and hope for Disney to do the right thing down the road. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:49 PM
O_o

Bill Hunt did mention this briefly, that BVHE is working on a replacement program. If it's anything like the previous disc problems from Disney, they mail you a prepaid mailer, you send back the disc and they mail you a replacement.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:15 PM

Good to hear this, I feel a lot better about buying this then. Would have bought it anyway, I want pirates in HD. It's a minor hiccup that takes away less than 1% of the movie enjoyment, and when its that small it doesn't bother me. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:26 PM

If you weren't told about it previously and had no idea it was there, would you notice? Seriously, think about that a moment.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:03 AM
O_o

YW joe, Disney is very good about replacements. It usually takes them months to admit it (i.e. 5 months to confirm Treasures disc issues) but they eventually fix it.

cmd, you're probably right but nevertheless when you do end up reading about it, it can bother you lol. I remember reading about a disc issue with framing, but could not find it. However I did end up getting the replacement since my disc info did match the error batch.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
If you weren't told about it previously and had no idea it was there, would you notice? Seriously, think about that a moment.
Like I said it part of the less than 1% thing for me.

Same with PQ (actual or theoretical) its a1% difference between the formats, hence I'm purple so I can enjoy everything. Have to admit though I got my PS3 first and would have liked BD to win (also would prefer for it not to have DRM and region coding, oh well), then Heroes (can't live w/o my Heroes in HD) came out and I read about the Reon chip in the XA2, presto I was purple. Now I don't care since I have both. Not that I cared before, just would have made life easier not having to buy a second player. Either way if BD hadn't won in 'bout a year, then I would gone purple anyway.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebmed View Post
Like I said it part of the less than 1% thing for me.

Same with PQ (actual or theoretical) its a1% difference between the formats, hence I'm purple so I can enjoy everything. Have to admit though I got my PS3 first and would have liked BD to win (also would prefer for it not to have DRM and region coding, oh well), then Heroes (can't live w/o my Heroes in HD) came out and I read about the Reon chip in the XA2, presto I was purple. Now I don't care since I have both. Not that I cared before, just would have made life easier not having to buy a second player. Either way if BD hadn't won in 'bout a year, then I would gone purple anyway.
Yeah, I have both formats myself. I buy dual releases on Blu-Ray because I usually get a PCM track and don't have to hope for TrueHD. I have the added bonus of getting whatever exclusives I want regardless. I just prefer Blu-Ray because of the PCM audio thing. I've been spoiled by lossless audio and don't like it when studios release a really great film in 1080p VC-1 and then give me DD+ claiming space requirements. Makes baby Jesus cry.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 AM
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Yeah, I have both formats myself. I buy dual releases on Blu-Ray because I usually get a PCM track and don't have to hope for TrueHD. I have the added bonus of getting whatever exclusives I want regardless. I just prefer Blu-Ray because of the PCM audio thing. I've been spoiled by lossless audio and don't like it when studios release a really great film in 1080p VC-1 and then give me DD+ claiming space requirements. Makes baby Jesus cry.
I think that was one isolated case (TF) where that was said, but Paramount has never clarified it themselves and only one person heard this remark. Nevertheless it's all about personal preference. I have both, but would rather have In-Movie Experiences, web features and interactivity over PCM or TrueHD. DD and DD+ are perfect for me
Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
I think that was one isolated case (TF) where that was said, but Paramount has never clarified it themselves and only one person heard this remark. Nevertheless it's all about personal preference. I have both, but would rather have In-Movie Experiences, web features and interactivity over PCM or TrueHD. DD and DD+ are perfect for me
I'm in the same boat as you Sir. Perhaps once I upgrade my AVR, I'll also get spoiled with lossless audio and will demand it as well. I got into HDM because of PQ, the original DD/DTS was good enough for my AQ needs on most occasions.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 AM

I watched POTC the other night and didn't notice the framing problem at all. Of course, I wasn't really looking for it either.

Mark