'Hitchhiker's Guide' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-02-2007, 01:28 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Hitchhiker's Guide' - High-Def Digest Review

We just posted Peter's review of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.' He liked the movie and generally liked this Blu-ray release, despite some reservations with the overly-artificial veneer of the transfer. He says the soundtrack is quite good, as are the extras.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/hitc...thegalaxy.html
Old 02-02-2007, 02:12 AM

You know reading that review, i am very surprised, at my work we have a demo Blu-ray disc playing on our Pioneer elite blu-ray player which is also connected into an elite HDMI receiver and an Elite 1080p plasma, and i have to say that when i see it, my jaw drops because the picture looks stunning. This review really surprised me since it only received 3 stars (not that i dont trust peter). Maybe they did more tweaking since the demo disc was made or something...
Old 02-02-2007, 11:30 AM

I have this Movie on Blu-Ray and it quite nices. This movie does have pause in at beginning - but that is designed of the movie when the two characters are moving up to to ship. Technical movies like this seam to be always jaw droppers with a good 1080p TV and Blu-Ray.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM

i cant wait for our store to get this movie
Old 09-15-2007, 09:30 AM

I must disagree with the PQ rating for this title. It really is demo high def material, quite stunning most of the time.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

Uh.. this is like 7 months old.. brought up... why?
Old 09-15-2007, 03:52 PM

instead of wasting another thread?? Thanks for your constructive comment.

I've been wanting to get this one for a while, i love the book.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 PM

I have noticed some softness in certain areas, but the majority of the film looks quite sharp and nice in my opinion.

Not demonstration material by any means, but it is quite good. Much much better than the standard definition release
Old 07-03-2008, 01:38 AM

I really enjoyed this review. It's particularly interesting to hear what an "outsider" thinks of it. That is, everybody I know who has seen this movie had already read the books and heard/seen the BBC radio and TV series. It was nice to see that you enjoyed the movie and the quirkiness of the characters and plotline. You're right in that most fans were disappointed by this adaptation. I seem to be in the minority in that I really enjoyed the way this film presented a story that I had already experienced several times before in other forms. I had recorded the film from cable on D-VHS and hadn't planned on buying the Blu-Ray version but the comments in this review about the audio tracks have convinced me to pick it up.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 PM

can anyone who had absolutely zero knowledge of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and then watched this film offer any perspective on it? does it just play out like a good space comedy for those who dont know anything about the series?