'Die Hard Collection' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Die Hard Collection' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Peter's mammoth review of 'The Die Hard Collection.' Containing all four flicks, this is more or less what you would expect from a series that spans two decades, with the earlier installments clearly showing their age. Still, this one ultimately delivers on the bottom line, porting over most of the supplements from previous DVD releases, and finally bringing the complete McClane quadrology to high-def.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1105...ollection.html
Old 11-21-2007, 12:06 PM

Good enough for me...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 PM

Peter (or anyone else who can answer),

This might be a bad question, but here goes - do you think the BD versions of DH 1-3 are a significant improvement over the DH Trilogy SD box set that came out a few years back (the ones with DTS audio)? I really want to pick this up, but now I'm hesitant after reading this. The SD set looks fairly good upconverted. How worth the upgrade do you really think this is?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 PM

I thought about buying just DIE HARD by itself. But now after this review I will pass.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:19 PM

WOW. Sorry this sounds extremely dissapointing regarding pq for 1 and 2. Everybody hopefully will finally quit claiming that Fox is somehow the next coming of God with their transfers. Bottem line is Fox's catalog transfers of 4 extremely high profile titles have not blown ANYONE away. In fact, not even close. I'm not saying these movie (Robocop, The Fly, etc.) will ever look pristine necessarily, but it seems to me that regarding catalogs, Fox is average at best so far. Universal has done far better with their recent catalogs than Fox imo, no question.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifuge View Post
Peter (or anyone else who can answer),

This might be a bad question, but here goes - do you think the BD versions of DH 1-3 are a significant improvement over the DH Trilogy SD box set that came out a few years back (the ones with DTS audio)? I really want to pick this up, but now I'm hesitant after reading this. The SD set looks fairly good upconverted. How worth the upgrade do you really think this is?
SD vs BD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12197385

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12197388
Old 11-21-2007, 12:45 PM

Are my eyes f***ing with me? It looks like the difference in PQ in DH1 is dramatically better on the BD, and not so much on DH: WAT. I just might run out and grab the first DH today. Thanks for the links!!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:08 PM

I'll have to agree with some of the others sentiments on here that the review left me disappointed. I understand some of these movies are old, but I was hoping for a better review for both PQ and AQ for the 1st and 2nd movies. Especially the first one as it is my favorite.

I mean heck, if Star Trek: TOS series can be cleaned up, so can the orginal Die Hard.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifuge View Post
Are my eyes f***ing with me? It looks like the difference in PQ in DH1 is dramatically better on the BD, and not so much on DH: WAT. I just might run out and grab the first DH today. Thanks for the links!!
Ya it looks much better than the SD. Amazon/UPS is on the way today . Should be a great watch over the holiday.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:15 PM

why are you merging reviews? why not make it separate.