'Live Free or Die Hard' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Live Free or Die Hard' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Peter's review of 'Live Free or Die Hard.' He's a fan of the flick itself, and says this Blu-ray boasts great video, even better audio, and a strong enough batch of extras that fans shouldn't go away disappointed. Unfortunately, Fox's decision to *not* include the unrated cut of the film on this high-def edition (as they have on standard-def) makes this one a less perfect package than it might have been. Still, a solid recommend all around...

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1093...ordiehard.html
Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM

Default die hard

Dam, PG-13?? Bad choice to not release the unrated version. Yippie Kiyaa mother*beep*.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 PM

thanks for the reivew, i will wait for the unrated edition on BD
Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 PM

Angry Die Hard Collection on Blue-Ray issues

I just purchased the Die Hard Collection (Box Set) on Blue-Ray. This is one of my most highly anticipated set of films to own on Blue-Ray. However, I'm experiencing issues with all the movies.

Live Free or Die Hard I put in and noticed a flicker on the Warning Screen. The first actual video to come up is the Simpsons Movie Trailer. The trailer had video, but no audio. At the end of the trailer the screen went to black and nothing ever came up. There was no loading icon or nothing. Just blackness. I did this a couple of times and the same thing. I tried to hit the next button on the remote and it froze up my player.

Die Hard would not load. I had in my player for 20 minutes and it would not load.

Die Hard 2 and 3 loaded the first time I put in the player, but now when I put in neither film will load.

I own a Samsung BD-P1000. I have the latest firmware update from October which was a firmware update to help play FOX BR DVDs (Day After Tomorrow and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer). I own both of those movies and they play fine. I also own 4 other Fox BR titles, and do not experience any issues with those as well.

Is there an issue with this Box Set? I spent a $100 for a Box Set that will not play. I'm tired of hearing about firmware updates, especially when I just did one a month ago to help play FOX titles. I don't have any problems with any other BR titles from any of the other studios. Also, a year into the format and there are still issues like this.

I'm getting to the point where I might just have to stick with Standard DVD for my FOX titles if this is going to be an ongoing issue.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Just update firmware again i guess
Old 11-20-2007, 01:34 PM

Keep us posted on your issues. I want to pick this up today, but no stores near me have the boxed set.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM

I think I will pick up Live Free today at FutureShop.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm2000 View Post
I just purchased the Die Hard Collection (Box Set) on Blue-Ray. This is one of my most highly anticipated set of films to own on Blue-Ray. However, I'm experiencing issues with all the movies.

Live Free or Die Hard I put in and noticed a flicker on the Warning Screen. The first actual video to come up is the Simpsons Movie Trailer. The trailer had video, but no audio. At the end of the trailer the screen went to black and nothing ever came up. There was no loading icon or nothing. Just blackness. I did this a couple of times and the same thing. I tried to hit the next button on the remote and it froze up my player.

Die Hard would not load. I had in my player for 20 minutes and it would not load.

Die Hard 2 and 3 loaded the first time I put in the player, but now when I put in neither film will load.

I own a Samsung BD-P1000. I have the latest firmware update from October which was a firmware update to help play FOX BR DVDs (Day After Tomorrow and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer). I own both of those movies and they play fine. I also own 4 other Fox BR titles, and do not experience any issues with those as well.

Is there an issue with this Box Set? I spent a $100 for a Box Set that will not play. I'm tired of hearing about firmware updates, especially when I just did one a month ago to help play FOX titles. I don't have any problems with any other BR titles from any of the other studios. Also, a year into the format and there are still issues like this.

I'm getting to the point where I might just have to stick with Standard DVD for my FOX titles if this is going to be an ongoing issue.
Yeah I get a fireware update needed on my Pioneer BDP-LX70A and the machine only came out monday! Good old Fox and BD+
Everything else works fine. I hope I don't have this with all Fox titles, they are shooting themselves in the foot otherwise. I can pretty much guarentee the UK release of The Day After Tomorrow will have issues.
Thankfully my copy does play past the firmware though on Die Hard 4.0 , and does look -amazing- but it's still hassle to get upto this screen in the first place. I rang pioneer monday and they are looking into it as I'm one of many who've rang up.
I think Fox should do quality control testing of their discs on a good few models before just putting out something to the public. Never has these issues with the other format. But i'll let them off due to how good the film looks
Old 11-20-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodin View Post
Just update firmware again i guess
Already tried that, but did not help.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:57 PM

I'm so conflicted on this one. I really want to add this to the collection, but I don't like my John McClane all watered down. It's inevitablet hat Fox will release the Unrated version on BD, but who knows how long that'll be! HELP!!!