Who owns Blu Ray disks but no player? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Who owns Blu Ray disks but no player?

I couldn't help myself and gave in to the BOGO offer. Bought The Fifth Element and Black Hawk Down. No player yet, I can't be the only one in this situation. I suppose now I am the exact opposite of those people who buy a PS3 and never buy any Blu Ray movies. [-X
Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 PM

Hey, over here! I bought BDs of a couple Paramount titles I want (Babel and The Warriors) shortly after the exclusivity announcement, in case I wound up going Blu-only and couldn't get these later. Given the inexplicably unequal sound encodes I think I'd actually rather have them on HD DVD even though I'm more partial to BD overall, and should I wind up getting players in both formats, as I'd like to do, I may eBay these and scoop up the HD DVD editions. I just thought I'd hedge my bets by getting them in BD.

I also have Best Buy's exclusive promotional Spider-Man 3 preview freebie, obtained when I purchased the other two discs mentioned above.

I have no player yet, but would like to get a PS3. In an ideal world I'd also get an HD DVD standalone, and I do think this is actually likely if I should wind up getting a PS3 and an HDTV, since the additional cost would be relatively trivial if I were already laying out the moolah for the PS3 and HDTV anyway. Sadly, however, it appears it'll be a while...
Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 PM

It's kind of a waste of money, unless you are going to buy a player. It is kind of like buying the HD DVD combo disc. Ok combo disc can play in DVD players to, b ut why would any one in their right mind want to buy a combo disc when they cost more? Why would DVD owner want to pay a lot more just to havd a HD DVD movie? I'm sure HD DVD owner's don't want a DVD version of the same movie.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:44 PM

That would be me also!! :-#
Patiently waiting on the Samsung dual player.
either getting that or the new Panny,
Can't wait to be neutral with an actual player. )
Have about 12 bds so far. Most all of the one's I want at present.
Waiting for re-do's on about 12 other titles.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 PM

From the last 2 (2 for 1) sales, I have now about 10, sooner or later I will get
a player

Phil
Old 11-15-2007, 12:50 PM

Well I didn't have the money to waste on both formats, so I went Blu-ray. I thought Blu-ray had better movies and sound. Let's don't forget extra 20 GB. Well the duo player will play both formats, if you want I guess. That is when it comes out. I think if you have HD DVD buying movies from paramount would be a wast of money, with no HD audio.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:04 PM

And now since I bought two of the movies that were on the buy two get one free Sony deal I will acutally be getting three movies for the price of one!!! :-#
Old 11-15-2007, 02:40 PM

Is there an ending date for the Sony buy two get one FREE? I don't know if I can get them right now, but later would be better.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM

i don't get it. unless you're getting them to resell or give away as gifts, i don't see the point of owning the movies without enjoying them.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:12 PM

I bought Memento on BD because it was always taunting me from the shelf. Eventually sold it though because I might as well spend that money on things I can use now.