The Old Double Dip - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2007, 12:18 PM

Angry The Old Double Dip

New to the board, just picked up the LG Combo player. Mostly buying Blu-Ray, except Universal HD-DVD. Just wondering about double dipping. Do the studios expect us to do the same for Blu-Ray as for Standard? Case in point. I own the excellent extended cut of Dances With Wolves. Now MGM busts out the basic version for 40 bucks on Blu-Ray. I thought the whole point of Blu-Ray was the enormous capacity. You can't give me both versions. At least Fox did it right with AVP. Anybody else sick of double dipping, for the second time.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

I only own about 20 DVDs (not a big collector, just buy what I absolutely have to have) so from this point out I'm basically going to have BDs. I am part of the Columbia House DVD thing, but I think I'll just take the DVD to Best Buy and trade it for a BD version.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnat View Post
New to the board, just picked up the LG Combo player. Mostly buying Blu-Ray, except Universal HD-DVD. Just wondering about double dipping. Do the studios expect us to do the same for Blu-Ray as for Standard? Case in point. I own the excellent extended cut of Dances With Wolves. Now MGM busts out the basic version for 40 bucks on Blu-Ray. I thought the whole point of Blu-Ray was the enormous capacity. You can't give me both versions. At least Fox did it right with AVP. Anybody else sick of double dipping, for the second time.
yes they have bigger capacity, and so putting things in 1080p and lossless audio takes up more room. Also, its business. With DVD, its obvious they could have fit the the unrated cut extended specatular anniversiry addition on the original DVD cause if it fit on the one two years later, it would fit on the original but its called businesssssss
Old 01-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

That's why I will only be double dipping if the disc warrants it. I wouldn't be surprised if many of these HD discs will be re-issued at some point with more features etc to encourage people to buy again!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:54 AM

That is one disadvantage of owning a PS3. If you want to see a movie with a better PQ than 480p, you have to double dip because PS3 does not upconvert.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45rpm View Post
That is one disadvantage of owning a PS3. If you want to see a movie with a better PQ than 480p, you have to double dip because PS3 does not upconvert.
well no worries, with the update, that will be taken care of
Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 AM

actually if your display has a decent scaler it doesn't matter.
I have the highly regarded oppo 971 Dvd player upscaling dvds to 720P and comparing that directly to the PS3 480P output over HDMI, (with the image smoothing and noise reduction parameters set to OFF in the PS3, mind you, most owners don't even KNOW of this feature on their PS3 for SD discs...) the image is virtually identical. I have a Mits hc3000 720P DLP FP which is pretty well regarded and it must have a good scaler as I can barely tell the difference. I have a monoprice 2x1 HDMI swithcer and A/B'd with some SDdvds (like Superman) that I had more than one copy of.
So this whole "oooh! The PS3 doesn't upscale!" is alot of frettin' over nothing. Either your player or your display scales, that's how it is...