'Pixar Shorts, Vol 1' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Pixar Shorts, Vol 1' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Kenneth's review of 'The Pixar Short Films Collection: Volume 1.' He says this Blu-ray edition features an excellent video transfer, a confident 24-Bit PCM audio track, and a nice offering of supplemental material. In short, yet another Blu-ray winner from Disney/Pixar.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1026...ollection.html
Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 AM

No arguing, the overall is right. I'm not saying I agree with it (don't have, don't want), but the score is right
Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 AM

DAMN! I hate this month! There is so many BDs, HD DVDs and Games coming out that it actually makes me mad!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
DAMN! I hate this month! There is so many BDs, HD DVDs and Games coming out that it actually makes me mad!
Don't feel bad, there is 7, SEVEN, 007, games this week I want. Well I actually knocked it down to 5 cause Kayne & Lynch didn't get a good review and N4S: PS hit a back burner(out) I'm getting Mario Galxey (Wii) and Assassin's Creed for the 360 tomorrow. Still haven't decided on Area 51, Resident Evil: UC, and Sim City.

As for movies I wanted Shrek 3, Cars, Meet the Rob's, Ocean's Tril., Die Hard coll., Close Encounter, and more. Next month it wont be so bad but it's freakin Christmas. But I already POed the HP collection and the only other movies I see for Dec. I want is ID4 (I will be extremly mad if they mess it up) and maybe Stardust, so it will me a money saving month (besides Christmas.) Has anyone else noticed I just went compleatly OT? Sorry.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:16 AM

Interesting that Kenneth wonders why the earlier shorts were not digitally transferred. The reason is because the hardware/software used to make them no longer exists. The Wally B short, was rendered on a Cray supercomputer if I recall correctly. The other three were rendered on Pixar's own Pixar Animation Computer. You can see it in the documentary on the disc.
In fact, when the anniversary edition of Toy Story was released, They actually had to re-animate some sections because, again, the software/hardware they were using wasn't compatible with the earlier files they had to re-render.
Considering those particular shorts were taken from either old film, or heaven forbid, old video tape, I think they did an admirable job.

At least that's my two cents...

Peter M
Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 AM

Great review. Still think it is priced too high for what the disc consists of. Maybe I will ask for it for Christmas. Cant get myself to buy it.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
Interesting that Kenneth wonders why the earlier shorts were not digitally transferred. The reason is because the hardware/software used to make them no longer exists. The Wally B short, was rendered on a Cray supercomputer if I recall correctly. The other three were rendered on Pixar's own Pixar Animation Computer. You can see it in the documentary on the disc.
In fact, when the anniversary edition of Toy Story was released, They actually had to re-animate some sections because, again, the software/hardware they were using wasn't compatible with the earlier files they had to re-render.
Considering those particular shorts were taken from either old film, or heaven forbid, old video tape, I think they did an admirable job.

At least that's my two cents...

Peter M
To clarify, I only wonder why they weren't digitally transferred from a remastered source. "Knick Knack" was redone no less than two times (once for release with 'Finding Nemo' and once more recently in 3-D). It's just a shame the others haven't been given the same update so they could be transferred from a digital source. Still, I understand the reasons they appear the way they do.

Thanks as always for posting!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned

Default won't play on samsung 1200

won't play on Samsung bd-p1200 players..samsung says they are aware and working on a firmware....why is it always Disney and Fox that cause all the play back isuues..even on regular dvds....they are so concerned with copy protection that they are screwing things up for the average guy who just wants to watch a movie ..not hack it and copy it...
Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 AM

Ken, your review doesn't state, but I assume the remastered version of Knick Knack is the post-operative breast reduction version?

http://jwz.livejournal.com/206726.html
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:04 PM

right now you can get this with free shipping for $21.37 from deepdiscount.com and any other bluray for their sale price, which is usually lower than other sites, plus an extra 20% off, just enter dvdtalk in the coupon code at checkout. I've already ordered 18 discs that are not included in the 2 for 1 sales (Cars, Ratatouille,Close Encounters,Spider,ect).