Ways to increase Blu-ray Sales - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-29-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Ways to increase Blu-ray Sales

Well I got Open Season tonight at Bestbuy and I thought of way that studios could increase sales of BLU-RAY's.

This thread is intended as ideas for studios for better support of BLU-RAY and not as part of HD Media war. Please keep comments to BLU-RAY format only.

1. Studios should sell BLU-RAY disks one week a head of the DVD. Give BLU-RAY owners an advance look a new releases.

2. Sony should come out with Low price version of PS3 with very limited game support or None. The main purpuse of this unit is to play BLU-RAY movies. Include support for RF Remotes in the unit and include a remote with the unit.

3. BLU-RAY hardware developers should release update to firmware to support BD-J. I have seen threads that if BLU-RAY has that enhancemnet for better interactively, that Universal will also create BLU-RAY movies.

Keep the ideas flowing and hopefully the BLU-RAY hardware and Studios will take notice.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
Well I got Open Season tonight at Bestbuy and I thought of way that studios could increase sales of BLU-RAY's.

This thread is intended as ideas for studios for better support of BLU-RAY and not as part of HD Media war. Please keep comments to BLU-RAY format only.

1. Studios should sell BLU-RAY disks one week a head of the DVD. Give BLU-RAY owners an advance look a new releases.

2. Sony should come out with Low price version of PS3 with very limited game support or None. The main purpuse of this unit is to play BLU-RAY movies. Include support for RF Remotes in the unit and include a remote with the unit.

3. BLU-RAY hardware developers should release update to firmware to support BD-J. I have seen threads that if BLU-RAY has that enhancemnet for better interactively, that Universal will also create BLU-RAY movies.

Keep the ideas flowing and hopefully the BLU-RAY hardware and Studios will take notice.
I think you are absoloutley right on #2. If Sony just made a bare bones "ps3" that would only be used for blu ray movies, then they would have made an affordable next gen player for some one who doesn't want to play games, because even though it is meant to be a central theatre unit, some people just aren't interested in games and would much rather buy a standalone...and, if the cheapest next gen stand alone they can find is hd, then we lose.
I also think people need to be educated as to what each format can do. Unfortunatley retailers aren't allowed to have any biases towards either format, BUT...if people knew that the only exclusive movie studio backing hd was universal WHILE blu-ray has Sony, Columbia-Tristar, MGM, 20th Century Fox, Disney, Buena Vista, Miramax, Touchstone, AND Lionsgate....then there wouldn't be a choice to be made, it would be obvious
Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 PM

Actually have most of their films be quality movies.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:08 AM

The only thing I wish is that the studios will not go so crazy with the prices - especially if they are desiring us to replace our DVD sections.

But if you think about $500 the HD Player is price of 20 movies. Maybe the Hardware venders making Blu-Ray players could include a small collection of movies to start people out. Maybe it could work out for them also - by having the studios donate them.

I guess I must dreaming.