Experienced my first Blu-ray rot! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Experienced my first Blu-ray rot!

I support both formats, and I heard of the long rumored "Blu-ray rot" where the disc begins to rot. Well, I had to see it to believe it and I did for the first time ever. I rented Donnie Brasco off of Blockbuster online and watched the movie entirely. There were two scenes that paused for about 5 seconds but then continued to play. When I took out the disc to clean it when the movie was finished, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Upon a closer look, at what was first glance looked like dust it was really what I had read about online awhile back. Extremely tiny dots forming all around the disc!

I really hope this isn't a long term problem for the format, and no movies that I own have this problem (that I know of at the moment) so I'm going to double check. I own about 15 Blu-rays.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankmallon View Post
I support both formats, and I heard of the long rumored "Blu-ray rot" where the disc begins to rot. Well, I had to see it to believe it and I did for the first time ever. I rented Donnie Brasco off of Blockbuster online and watched the movie entirely. There were two scenes that paused for about 5 seconds but then continued to play. When I took out the disc to clean it when the movie was finished, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Upon a closer look, at what was first glance looked like dust it was really what I had read about online awhile back. Extremely tiny dots forming all around the disc!

I really hope this isn't a long term problem for the format, and no movies that I own have this problem (that I know of at the moment) so I'm going to double check. I own about 15 Blu-rays.
Ouch....that sucks.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM

I'm curious about what player you're using.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:42 PM

My version of the Prestige has disc rot.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsLV426 View Post
I'm curious about what player you're using.
What would that have to do with disc rot....
Old 11-11-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
What would that have to do with disc rot....
Because the OP did say it paused a couple of times.....I'm hoping that if disc rot is a reality that some players may handle it a bit better than others (or maybe not).
Old 11-11-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsLV426 View Post
Because the OP did say it paused a couple of times.....I'm hoping that if disc rot is a reality that some players may handle it a bit better than others (or maybe not).
Alright, thanks for the explanation.

But, if disc rot is real, it will eventually make the disc unplayable, no matter how good the player is....
Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 PM

Ok, you guys got my attention. What is it with this Disc Rot?

Can someone link to some articles where you all read about this please? This is the first time I have heard of this.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
Ok, you guys got my attention. What is it with this Disc Rot?

Can someone link to some articles where you all read about this please? This is the first time I have heard of this.
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/16/b...arting-to-rot/
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/notag/blu...rot-269554.php
http://digg.com/hardware/Blu_Ray_Dis...scs_Unreliable
http://hometheater.about.com/b/2007/...some-discs.htm
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857067
Old 11-11-2007, 10:13 PM

Wierd. I have 52 Blu-rays and haven't seen that on any of mine. (knock on wood)