NEW TREND No Uncompressed AUDIO - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM
rded's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 484
Default NEW TREND No Uncompressed AUDIO

I Seem to notice a new trend with sony's new releases i.e. Spidy 1 and 2 and Close Encounters lacking uncompressed audio. I mean isnt this one of the things that sets BD titles apart from HD DVDs? Is disk space an issue here or what? Is this a good or a bad thing? Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Hex's Avatar
Hex Hex is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 611
Default

No offense but why would you not post this in the bluray hardware or software forum?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-11-2007, 06:56 PM
FourToedStatue's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,001
Default

Dolby TrueHD is uncompressed
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-11-2007, 06:59 PM
chipvideo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Dolby TrueHD is uncompressed

Wrong. I think you meant lossless.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-11-2007, 07:00 PM
rded's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Dolby TrueHD is uncompressed

Its LOSSLESS! Less compression(a zip file)- not uncompressed.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-11-2007, 07:01 PM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Dolby TrueHD is uncompressed
Not true...it is a codec, who's very definition is associated with compression. DTHD uses meridian lossless packing to restore the audio bit for bit from it's source.

It is lossless, but it is compressed.

There are some purists who claim LPCM is superior, but technically there should be no difference, as it's supposed to be identical bit for bit. There are also some people who don't like DTHD as much because it uses dialogue normalization to even out the audio.

Therefore, it is not as true to the source as LPCM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 PM
FourToedStatue's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
Wrong. I think you meant lossless.

You're right
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 PM
FourToedStatue's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Not true...it is a codec, who's very definition is associated with compression. DTHD uses meridian lossless packing to restore the audio bit for bit from it's source.

It is lossless, but it is compressed.

There are some purists who claim LPCM is superior, but technically there should be no difference, as it's supposed to be identical bit for bit. There are also some people who don't like DTHD as much because it uses dialogue normalization to even out the audio.

Therefore, it is not as true to the source as LPCM.
Yeah I don't know if its my ears playing tricks but I can't help but notice PCM packs more punch.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Yeah I don't know if its my ears playing tricks but I can't help but notice PCM packs more punch.
That's because they're set louder by default. Turn up the volume on the TrueHD track and you'll find them identical.
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-11-2007, 08:06 PM
rded's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
That's because they're set louder by default. Turn up the volume on the TrueHD track and you'll find them identical.

So if for some cosmic reason the studios stop encoding uncompressed audio on BDs, arent you going to miss it?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High-Def FAQ: Uncompressed vs. Lossless Audio jed General Discussion: Both Formats 97 09-23-2010 06:59 PM
PS3 audio problem with uncompressed PCM. Romeo Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles 21 10-26-2009 07:58 AM
Uncompressed Audio question. DisciplineSpeced Home Theater Gear 4 12-11-2007 04:56 PM
High-Def FAQ: Uncompressed vs. Lossless Audio Supermodified Home Theater Gear 2 12-08-2007 11:44 AM
Which is better for audio? 5.1 Dolby Digital.. or 5.1 uncompressed audio?? O.E. Blu-ray Software General Discussion 8 05-02-2007 03:31 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off