My Take on format wars - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 PM

Default My Take on format wars

Format wars very fitting for whats happening currently. We got blu-ray / hd dvd, we got war of the apple music formats versus wma secure and what not, plus there are myriads of codec and all this is easy enough to confuse average audience.

i have got both hd dvd player (rather, had) and ps3 as blu-ray player. I for one will try to be as format agnostic as possible coz I love only movies and don't care if they are sold in high def or holographic def or any futuristic technology.

Blu-ray and HD DVD have both similar qualities albeit with one common thread, Warner.

the irony is the biggest supporter for high def is the format neutral studio with least delays and very good catalog.

What i hate about blu-ray is fox and mgm. unless they either back off or support properly this war or altercation will never end. and consequently consumers will continue to loose money on the format they never know might not exist after some time.

what i hate about hd dvd is toshiba delivering medieval players. toshiba hd-a2 is ugly like fuck, is slow like fuck and seems the box is picked up from a first gen dvd player. even hd-a3 is almost same. another thing I hate about hd-dvd is no choice of set top hardware apart from toshiba. xbox 360 hd dvd player is even worse from what i gathered.

what i like about hd-dvd is dedicated support from universal, paramount. even though I wont care about 50% of the catalogue titles released by universal. I hope blu-ray supporters follow this trend.

what i like about blu-ray is ps3 which is the best value for money one can get in a set top box. moreover the choices available to people in getting the set top hardware.

I dont care about bd+ or region coding and all those shit coz I dont like to pay heavy price for imports so I rarely import movies. I think for people owning hd dvd players it'll be much cheaper if they stop importing movies from european countries and buy a ps3 and get movies here. coz in the end its all about content and not about becoming an hd dvd or blu-ray whore.

In the end i'll only say that companies stop screwing the customers and come to concensus. alas its a wishful thinking and can exist in only a utopian state. until then enjoy the content but dont be a fanboy coz format is not religion.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:31 AM

Default wth

Quote:
i have got both hd dvd player (rather, had) and ps3 as blu-ray player. I for one will try to be as format agnostic as possible coz I love only movies and don't care if they are sold in high def or holographic def or any futuristic technology
So why don't you just stay with DVD and save a ton of money??

You might get taken more seriously, if you didn't use coz.