whats a good demo? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-08-2007, 03:22 PM

Default whats a good demo?

So I just bought a 40 gig ps3 with spiderman3 but havent opened it yet. I have been an avid HD DVD supporter and then I realized that most of us support the format we buy into first. If you look at it the purple people are always the more sensible ones on this forum. So I decided to go purple, and let me tell you, it wasn't cheap. First I got the ps3 then I had to buy a 2nd controler( for games) then 1 game and than 1 blu ray movie. It came out to $570.oo... It really made my blood boil. So I hope that it is worth it as I don't have to worry about where warner is going or what movie is available to me etc. That being said I love HD DVD!! but I realized that I really know nothing about blu ray. And I think a lot of posters on here really don't get to try both formats out for themselves. So Which disks should I get to experience what blu ray has to offer?? And purple people, Are you happy with your investments??
Old 11-08-2007, 03:35 PM

NIN:Beside you in time
first two Pirates of the Caribbean are good
The Prestige

Apparently, Cars looks really good, havent got that one myself yet

really, you wont probably see much of an advantage over HDDVD with bluray, as most disks are equivalent transfers/extras. But that varies of course, but not by a whole lot.

there are several others that I enjoy and look really good, but no reason to just list 50 movies.

ya I like being purple. No regret purchasing both formats.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:47 PM

POTC: Dead Man's Chest
Ratatouille
The Prestige

would be my top 3. Immortal Beloved I would also throw in to show off the audio, if you or your audience likes classical.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:26 PM

Your Spider-man 3 is good demo material. It's a fantastic transfer and the audio tracks are splendid.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
So I just bought a 40 gig ps3 with spiderman3 but havent opened it yet. I have been an avid HD DVD supporter and then I realized that most of us support the format we buy into first. If you look at it the purple people are always the more sensible ones on this forum. So I decided to go purple, and let me tell you, it wasn't cheap. First I got the ps3 then I had to buy a 2nd controler( for games) then 1 game and than 1 blu ray movie. It came out to $570.oo... It really made my blood boil. So I hope that it is worth it as I don't have to worry about where warner is going or what movie is available to me etc. That being said I love HD DVD!! but I realized that I really know nothing about blu ray. And I think a lot of posters on here really don't get to try both formats out for themselves. So Which disks should I get to experience what blu ray has to offer?? And purple people, Are you happy with your investments??
Exact same boat as you, hooked up my 40gb a couple days ago...

Wasn't blown away by POTC: Dead Man's Chest by any means, I've seen several movies that look better on HD DVD. The sound however, was fantastic. Watched Ratatouille last night, was very pleased with PQ and sound, but like another post stated, its really not gonna blow your socks off as something superior to HD DVD. I'm happy with my purchase, but for no other reason than I don't have to worry about this stupid war anymore. I'll still support HD DVD when both are available (and why not with more extras), and I'll definitely still buy my sports games for 360.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifuge View Post
Immortal Beloved I would also throw in to show off the audio, if you or your audience likes classical.
This is no lie. The last sequence where he's remembering his childhood while the 9th symphony is playing is one of the most amazing things I have ever heard on my home theater. Explosions and bullets are neat and everything, but the TrueHD track on this disc is jaw dropping!

Last edited by Westonian; 11-08-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM

turned format neutral yesterday via PS3 40GB. I watched Tears of the Sun, PQ was soft at times however AQ was pretty good. Most likely will watch more movies this weekend, Ratatouille is next. Most importantly is I have peace of mind that I probably have the best BD machine in the market.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 AM

Wild Hogs and POTC:2
Old 11-09-2007, 09:37 AM

i say, most of the cg films from disney is top notch, but for live action films, crank, pirates, planet earth, sp3, and black hawk down was pretty tough too
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM

Crank looks amazing as does Black Hawk Down. Also check out Ant Bully and Open Season.