Anyone pick up Beowulf and Grendel? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-07-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Anyone pick up Beowulf and Grendel?

I bought this at Amazon as a blind buy. The SD had good reviews. Plus I was able to justify the purchase since I bundled it with Cars and Ratatouille. I heard that scenery is supposed to be gorgeous. I'm just curious if that translates to a good BD transfer.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 AM

** update **
I just saw this BD last night and let me start out by saying the shooting locations for this movie were absolutely breath taking. Now for some more good news: STARZ did a fantastic transfer job. This has to be one of the best transfer jobs I have ever seen. The scenes have a lot of detail and depth. The outdoor shots coupled with the transfer job makes this movie true BD demo material in my opinion. Likewise STARZ did a good job on the sound. They fully take advantage off the rear surround speakers. You can hear the strong music score, the rumbling of horses, the crashing of the waves and even the wind.

As far as the acting and storyline. That was fair. A couple of the actors may be familiar (Gerard Butler from 300 and Stellan Skarsgard (the Saxon king from King Arthur).

Bottom line if you liked the scenery from King Arthur, you will love this movie. The only difference is that STARZ did a far superior transfer than Buena Vista.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:12 AM

I haven't been able to buy this on hd yet but i saw it on s dvd and if it's on the hd version,the 'making of' extra is well worth watching after you see the movie.
They went thru hell with the weather while making this movie.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:44 PM

I picked it up on the cheap from JR... I am fond of Skarsgard.