'King of New York' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'King of New York' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's 'King of New York' review is up. Although he was pleased to see this Blu-ray edition carry over all of the supplements from the 2-disc Special Edition DVD, he says both the video transfer and the audio pale in comparison to top tier catalog releases.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1037/kingofnewyork.html
Old 11-05-2007, 12:45 PM

I read this as Gangs of New York >.>

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 11-05-2007, 01:00 PM

Thumbs down Rough

I swear to GOD himself that I am not being argumentative for no reason, but this is another rough review from Ken. This is a cult classic and Notorious BIG actually made his alias "Frank White" after Christopher Walken's character. It is a bit "New Jack City" at times and the fight scenes are a tad hokey, but the STELLAR cast and an incredible job by Walken himself make it a must rent or buy for ALL hip-hop fans (if you liked Warriors) and gangster flicks fanatics. LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT, the STORYLINE for THIS movie and Sopranos Season 6 PT. II are 2.5 stars according to "Ken", while the Kung Fu Hustle storyline was 5 stars. WOW. Also, I also thought the video transfer was VERY nice compared to many other semi-old movies I've seen lately on Blu-Ray. I have a Sony KDS-R60XBR2, a properly set up PS3 for Blu-Rays as noted below, and a Monster 5100 power center.
*********Note for ALL PS3 Blu-Ray Users: Make sure you go into Video Settings and set it to----RGB & Full (Auto & Limited are the WRONG choice). Then bump your brightness up several notches. This will add alot to your picture quality if you have a nice set. Your Welcome.

My Personal Review:

Movie Itself: 3.5 Stars
HD Video Quality: 3.5 Stars
HD Audio Quality 3.5 Stars
Supplements/Extras: WHO CARES!!!!!!!!

Overall: I recommend watching the movie 4 sure. I am not telling you to sleep over night on Black Friday to save $5 on this movie, but I would check it out one way or another (that doesn't mean you need to buy it Ken).

Last edited by DoTellAll4U; 11-05-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTellAll4U View Post
LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT, the STORYLINE for THIS movie and Sopranos Season 6 PT. II are 2.5 stars according to "Ken", while the Kung Fu Hustle storyline was 5 stars. WOW.
It's my job to give an opinion -- no need to get so upset. Different people like different things. If we disagree on a couple things, chances are we'll disagree on many things. It's the nature of personal taste.

Thanks for posting though! I always enjoy reading what other viewers think.

Last edited by Ken Brown; 11-05-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:11 PM

Cool Sorry but.............

Maybe they need to find another writer for the gangster flick genre. That is evident by your overall ratings.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Maybe they need to find another writer for the gangster flick genre. That is evident by your overall ratings.
By the by, 'American Gangster' was amazing. Anyone who didn't catch it this weekend in theaters should check it out. The performances, direction, and script were top notch.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
It's my job to give an opinion -- no need to get so upset. Different people like different things. If we disagree on a couple things, chances are we'll disagree on many things. It's the nature of personal taste.

Thanks for posting though! I always enjoy reading what other viewers think.
I'll agree to disagree with you on this one (regarding the film itself). We can debate the technical aspects of any disc to death but taste is subjective. KoNY is one of my favorite crime/gangster movies ever, and certainly has one of the best performances of the genre from Mr. Walken. Not surprised if the high-def treatment wasn't spectacular though. It's not the type of film that would've benefited much from it anyway, IMO.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Good review by Ken Brown, but the BD shows an option of DTS HD 7.1 not 6.1. Can anyone else confirm this? It is downgraded to DTS 1.5 mbps on the PS3 anyway.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM

very dissapointing regarding pq. even with the age of the film, everyone knows a full on remastering of the original negative would have made this look 100% better. They obviously used the master from 2004, and worked with it a little. Oh well. maybe next time.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT, the STORYLINE for THIS movie and Sopranos Season 6 PT. II are 2.5 stars according to "Ken", while the Kung Fu Hustle storyline was 5 stars. WOW.
Kung Fu Hustle was a freaking awesome movie.