Fox Menus on Titles - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 AM

Default Fox Menus on Titles

Quick Question.

On Fox titles that I have gotten so far there is no main menu screen, the movies kicks straight in any anytime I want to access the menu I have to have the movie running in the background, which I find annoying.

anyone else having this problem or am I missing something. Also on Die Hard 4 when I went to watch the making of once I put it on I could exit it back to the menu just had to skip forward until it was over.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:40 AM

It would help to know what player you have. What titles you're playing and what region. Fox has menus in North America. Warner is notorious for not having main menus here though. And how did you get Die Hard 4 already.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimboli View Post
Quick Question.

On Fox titles that I have gotten so far there is no main menu screen, the movies kicks straight in any anytime I want to access the menu I have to have the movie running in the background, which I find annoying.
I think their seamless menu is standard on most (if not all) Fox releases. That is being touted as a benefit as 'the movie starts right away' but it makes it cumbersome when setting up audio etc.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrob View Post
It would help to know what player you have. What titles you're playing and what region. Fox has menus in North America. Warner is notorious for not having main menus here though. And how did you get Die Hard 4 already.
Region B, PS3. WB kick in straight away too but you can back out to a main menu, if you want the change the audio settings or anything with Fox you appear to have to do it as the film is actually playing.

Die Hard 4 has been out here for 3 weeks now, great AQ/PQ. If its not out in the US it will be interesting to see if the problem with the making off not being able to be backed out of is the same.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:57 AM

Fox don't do Top Menus in Europe. It's lame, frustrating and illogical. When playing any non-film footage, you get no pop-up menu either. Meaning you have skip through supplements like unwanted trailers if you want to return to the menu.

This is apparently the ultimate in interaction and the true next-gen movie format. When I asked about this on BluRay.Com I was accused of being a HD DVD shill. Whatever. I expect a sucessor to DVD to be more usable, not less usable.

It was suggested by someone else who seems to have some authoring experience that Fox do this to stop them having to create a series of "top menus" in different languages.

This doesn't really hold-up though - note Disney has no Top Menu on the UK release of "The Wild" but the pop-up menu will being up a simple, one choice only "Return to Movie" menu when pressed during the supplements.