'Windtalkers' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2007, 01:43 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Windtalkers' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of the John Woo/Nicholas Cage flick 'Windtalkers' is up, and while he (like most viewers) hated the film itself, it's another technical winner for Blu-ray, earning 4.5 stars (out of five) for picture quality, and 4 stars for audio.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/windtalkers.html
Old 01-25-2007, 03:05 PM

i indeed liked this movie but my DVD will hold me over just fine
Old 01-25-2007, 03:38 PM

I actually liked this movie also... but I can appreciate violence in high definition. I'm just a mindless John Woo fan so I'm glad about that the PQ and SQ are up to par.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Wow?

Is it me? Was this film really that bad? I remember liking it alot. Sure, it may not be up there with the likes of Platoon, Private Ryan, or A. Now, but I for one feel that it certainly deserved more than one star. Only movies like Showgirls, Batman & Robin, Rollerball (the remake), and Charlie's Angels Full Throttle should have that distinct honor of one star. Windtalkers was definitely a class above those bottom of the barrel movies. I know it is a matter of opinion but I would have still given it 2 1/2 to 3 stars.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronds9 View Post
Is it me? Was this film really that bad? I remember liking it alot. Sure, it may not be up there with the likes of Platoon, Private Ryan, or A. Now, but I for one feel that it certainly deserved more than one star. Only movies like Showgirls, Batman & Robin, Rollerball (the remake), and Charlie's Angels Full Throttle should have that distinct honor of one star. Windtalkers was definitely a class above those bottom of the barrel movies. I know it is a matter of opinion but I would have still given it 2 1/2 to 3 stars.
totally agree here
Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 PM

it may seen silly to ask but is this the directors cut or the theatrical cut?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:53 AM

does anybody know if the bluray film is the directors cut or the theatrical cut. the picture on the bluray art box is the same as the regular theatrical cut of the film so and i dont remember reading anything about which cut it was.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:52 AM

Wow 1 star. Must be the first time every where I strongly disagree with Peter. 2-2 stars would've been much better because I saw this movie but honestly it wasn't that bad. 1 Star should be reserved for the worst of films. But at least now I know that I can disagree with him and be more careful to blindly trust his movie assessments in the future. He is often correct though
Old 01-06-2008, 06:18 AM

Default i ll have to agree with gaco

I'll have to agree with you Gaco because while I did not think this was the best film, it was a decent film. 1 star should go to films like House of the Dead (apologies to those who did enjoy it), and this film actually had its moments and for those who want to debate over, I found the actual viewing of this film much more enjoyable than Pearl Harbor where I was actually hoping for the end of the film many times. I rate this film at 2 1/2 stars, you can see where the potential was for this film and where it was lost. But still worth a watch, and for those who manage to find the directors cut (which i also found out was not part of the bluray release) the additions were welcomed and brought more to the film than the previous cut. I was disappointed to see that the bluray was the regular theatrical cut rather than the directors cut.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Decent Film at best. N. Cage had too much of a Rambo persona that was a bit stupid at times, especially towards the end of the film. I rented this on blu ,and I think that it should be rented unless you are a N. Cage fan.