MGM Bumps 'Battle of Britain,' 'Bridge Too Far' Blu-ray Releases - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 PM
HDD Founder

Default MGM Bumps 'Battle of Britain,' 'Bridge Too Far' Blu-ray Releases

just posted:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1141

Quote:
Only days before their scheduled Blu-ray release, MGM has confirmed a delay for both 'Battle of Britain' and 'A Bridge Too Far.'

The two classic war flicks had been due to hit Blu-ray next Tuesday November 6, but today the studio confirmed earlier retailer reports that both titles hadbeen yanked, citing "marketing decisions."

Though MGM has not yet announced new dates for either title, the studio did tell us that 'Battle of Britain' and 'Bridge Too Far' are now expected to arrive "sometime around Father's Day 2008," likely as a part of a holiday-themed promotion.

As always, we'll let you know as soon as new dates are announced for both titles.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:41 PM

Yeah, I heard about this a few weeks ago when it was first being reported. I think it is wise, because shelf space is limited and these titles will get lost in the holiday rush.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:19 PM

Why do only Blu-Ray Releases always get delayed? Has this really something to do with production problems or is this just coincidence? (This is a real question, no bashing)
Old 11-02-2007, 05:21 PM

Because freaking Fox is responsible for release MGM titles domestically. And Fox, as we all know, loves making their fan base squirm by announcing titles then yank them right before the announced release date!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:26 PM

Father's Day makes more sense, though. They're older catalog movies about war...Sure to get lost both in the holiday season and next week against Cars and Ratatouille.

Now if they were to announce a delay on Die Hard....
Old 11-02-2007, 05:39 PM

Delay seems sensible at this time. Resources get strained during the holiday season and only the 'big' titles seem to do well. While I enjoyed both of these movies, I doubt that I would pick them up at this time when so much else is happening. Much like the Da Vinci Code's release has been delayed to coincide with the release on Angel & Demons. That will be a huge seller 4th quarter of 2008.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:49 PM

But still it seems strange that they were due on Tuesday and pulling them now? I agree they are better tied into Memorial Day or something like that, but I'm sure there were some people waiting for them. (I've never liked "A Bridge Too Far" but "Battle of Britain" is a good film.)
Old 11-02-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskiessmingatme View Post
But still it seems strange that they were due on Tuesday and pulling them now?
Actually the news has been around for a while. Retailers on forums have been saying they were officially removed from the listing. But I guess this story just relates to when MGMK spoke to HDD.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:17 PM

That's a shame, I was really hoping for them, but I am patient, I can wait, anyway with the Pixar, Close Encounters and all of the great title due this year, I need a wallet break anyway.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Same here, I was also looking foreward to these more than the other fox titles