Where's the review of Mr. Brooks? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Where's the review of Mr. Brooks?

Heard this was a pretty good movie. Just wanna know if the video & audio are up to snuff before I blind buy it.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan92 View Post
Heard this was a pretty good movie. Just wanna know if the video & audio are up to snuff before I blind buy it.
Just my 2, this was a damn good movie! It is mostly dialogue but there are a couple of scenes where there is gunfire and boy do those pops really come alive. Scared the crap out of me a couple of times. I am not particularly a huge fan of Costner, but I absolutely loved him in this move. His character was flawlessly executed. The picture quality is on par with a strong 4.5/5 (in my opinion). Audio I will give a 5 star (regardless of the lack of strong continuous ambient sounds). Once you see/hear it, you will understand. I am only using a PS3 so I am only listening to the 1.5mbps core of the DTS track on this one and yes it's that good!

Thanks for asking, I have been dying to tell someone about this movie.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM

It was pretty decent. I wasn't expecting much, and I was happy I'd rented it.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 PM

Thanks I'll buy it Friday along with Spider-man The High Definition Trilogy, & possibly Ratatouille.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 PM

I enjoyed it. PQ was great.

(Ratatouille doesn't come out until next Tueday, by the way)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan101 View Post
I enjoyed it. PQ was great.

(Ratatouille doesn't come out until next Tueday, by the way)
I might buy it at a store that breaks release dates.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan92 View Post
Thanks I'll buy it Friday along with Spider-man The High Definition Trilogy, & possibly Ratatouille.
BTW I dont know how much you know about this movie, but it runs somewhere along the lines of a psychological thriller. Reminds me of Hopkins movies like Hannibal, etc. (and I am in no way comparing--before anyone flames me on it). It more or less fits the genre, but nevertheless a good movie.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
Just my 2, this was a damn good movie! It is mostly dialogue but there are a couple of scenes where there is gunfire and boy do those pops really come alive. Scared the crap out of me a couple of times. I am not particularly a huge fan of Costner, but I absolutely loved him in this move. His character was flawlessly executed. The picture quality is on par with a strong 4.5/5 (in my opinion). Audio I will give a 5 star (regardless of the lack of strong continuous ambient sounds). Once you see/hear it, you will understand. I am only using a PS3 so I am only listening to the 1.5mbps core of the DTS track on this one and yes it's that good!

Thanks for asking, I have been dying to tell someone about this movie.
I agree 100%. I am not a fan of Kevin Costner movies...but this one was great. William Hurt was very good in this one as well. This was worthy of purchase,imho.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:05 AM

My only complaint, and this could be read as a backhand compliment, is that the gunfire is too freaking loud! I wouldn't recommend watching this one late at night, because the gunshots are so much louder than the rest of the movie that you have to quickly turn down the volume during gunfire scenes and then turn the volume back up to be able to clearly hear the rest of the movie.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorheadache View Post
My only complaint, and this could be read as a backhand compliment, is that the gunfire is too freaking loud! I wouldn't recommend watching this one late at night, because the gunshots are so much louder than the rest of the movie that you have to quickly turn down the volume during gunfire scenes and then turn the volume back up to be able to clearly hear the rest of the movie.
Thank you. A clear testament to the unbelievable dynamic range on this film. Personally I go for the realism, so if I am listening to dialoge at a nomal volume and suddenly there is a deafening explosion (or in this case gunfire) and it leaves my ears ringing, I embrace it. With HD nearing true-to life color and realism, I think HD audio should do the same.

I know what you mean about the gunfire scenes in this movie, and it's not for everyone. I liked it, but it sure scared the crap out of me.