Anamorphic Widescreen? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Anamorphic Widescreen?

I have owned a PS3 for a few months now and I just recently started to rent bluray movies. I noticed that you cannot strech the picture out like you can on a standard dvd, every movies is in its exact ratio 2:35-2:40 or 1:85. Can someone explain to me whats the deal? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

I'm not completely sure what you are asking, but I'm thinking it's the actual PS3 that is the problem? Anamorphic widescreen should not affect the ways that you can display the picture on your television. Perhaps the Ps3 does not offer a wide, wide zoom, normal option, but your tv should. Is this helping any?

As far as black bars or not, this is a huge topic amongst HD adopters and there are a few threads open about them. The black bars ARE intentional and in many opinions desired.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agraham8 View Post
I'm not completely sure what you are asking, but I'm thinking it's the actual PS3 that is the problem? Anamorphic widescreen should not affect the ways that you can display the picture on your television. Perhaps the Ps3 does not offer a wide, wide zoom, normal option, but your tv should. Is this helping any?

As far as black bars or not, this is a huge topic amongst HD adopters and there are a few threads open about them. The black bars ARE intentional and in many opinions desired.
Example, on a standard dvd player you have letterbox or 16:9 aspect ratio options on the dvd player. If you put it on 16:9 option it will strecth a letterbox picture 2:35 aspect into 1:85 aspect and a 1:85 into a full frame. If im not mistaken, you cant do that with bluray, right?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodified View Post
Example, on a standard dvd player you have letterbox or 16:9 aspect ratio options on the dvd player. If you put it on 16:9 option it will strecth a letterbox picture 2:35 aspect into 1:85 aspect and a 1:85 into a full frame. If im not mistaken, you cant do that with bluray, right?
No, you can't do that on Blu-ray.

Blu-ray video is natively 16:9 in shape, using 1920x1080 square pixels. For a 2.35:1 movie, the black bars are encoded as part of that picture.

DVD works a little differently. Those discs have 720x480 non-square pixels, which are stretched to fill the screen. There is no stretching involved with Blu-ray or HD DVD.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
No, you can't do that on Blu-ray.

Blu-ray video is natively 16:9 in shape, using 1920x1080 square pixels. For a 2.35:1 movie, the black bars are encoded as part of that picture.

DVD works a little differently. Those discs have 720x480 non-square pixels, which are stretched to fill the screen. There is no stretching involved with Blu-ray or HD DVD.
Is it possible that someday they will change that where your able to strectch the picture? I remember dvds started off that same way when they were first released. They only supported the aspect ratio of the film.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodified View Post
Is it possible that someday they will change that where your able to strectch the picture? I remember dvds started off that same way when they were first released. They only supported the aspect ratio of the film.
I thin you misunderstand some things here.

DVD came out and you have two versions of the film, one was widescreen and one was pan-and-scan. pan-and-scan cuts the sides off a film to fit the 4:3 display. widescreen used the whole image but had to encode black bars on the top and bottom to make it fit the 4:3 screen.

Later, anamorphic DVDs were created for widescreen displays which has 16:9 aspect. These DVDs still had black encoded on top and bottom for 2.35:1 films because it still didn't match the 16:9 aspect.

Anamorphic simply means squeezing the picture that is wide into a square frame, which makes everything skinny and tall. This square frame is stretched out wide to fill the screen making the right proportions again.

Blu-ray and HD DVD (as well as HDTV broadcast) doesn't use an anamorphic process because the frame is not 4:3 but 16:9. No stretching and squeezing involved. A 2.35:1 movie will still have black bars encoded on the disc, just like widescreen DVD and anamorphic DVD. There is no other way to do it.

I think you're asking when pan-and-scan Blu-rays are coming out which crop the sides off the 2.35:1 movies to fill your 1.76:1 aspect television. I hope never.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
I thin you misunderstand some things here.

DVD came out and you have two versions of the film, one was widescreen and one was pan-and-scan. pan-and-scan cuts the sides off a film to fit the 4:3 display. widescreen used the whole image but had to encode black bars on the top and bottom to make it fit the 4:3 screen.

Later, anamorphic DVDs were created for widescreen displays which has 16:9 aspect. These DVDs still had black encoded on top and bottom for 2.35:1 films because it still didn't match the 16:9 aspect.

Anamorphic simply means squeezing the picture that is wide into a square frame, which makes everything skinny and tall. This square frame is stretched out wide to fill the screen making the right proportions again.

Blu-ray and HD DVD (as well as HDTV broadcast) doesn't use an anamorphic process because the frame is not 4:3 but 16:9. No stretching and squeezing involved. A 2.35:1 movie will still have black bars encoded on the disc, just like widescreen DVD and anamorphic DVD. There is no other way to do it.

I think you're asking when pan-and-scan Blu-rays are coming out which crop the sides off the 2.35:1 movies to fill your 1.76:1 aspect television. I hope never.
Cool, thanks i understand now.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
Shhh..... don't give them any ideas.... Can you imagine if they took a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie and cut off the sides so that it would fill a HDTV screen. I think a lot of people here would have an aneurysm.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy- View Post
Shhh..... don't give them any ideas.... Can you imagine if they took a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie and cut off the sides so that it would fill a HDTV screen. I think a lot of people here would have an aneurysm.
TNTHD does that with their movies occasionally. I was going to watch The Patriot (a 2.35:1 film) and lo and behold, it filled the whole screen. It wasn't stretched like most of their programming...it was just cropped. I turned the channel instantly.

Last edited by LizardMan101; 10-31-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Lol....