Anamorphic Widescreen? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Supermodified's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 423
Default Anamorphic Widescreen?

I have owned a PS3 for a few months now and I just recently started to rent bluray movies. I noticed that you cannot strech the picture out like you can on a standard dvd, every movies is in its exact ratio 2:35-2:40 or 1:85. Can someone explain to me whats the deal? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 145
Default

I'm not completely sure what you are asking, but I'm thinking it's the actual PS3 that is the problem? Anamorphic widescreen should not affect the ways that you can display the picture on your television. Perhaps the Ps3 does not offer a wide, wide zoom, normal option, but your tv should. Is this helping any?

As far as black bars or not, this is a huge topic amongst HD adopters and there are a few threads open about them. The black bars ARE intentional and in many opinions desired.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Supermodified's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agraham8 View Post
I'm not completely sure what you are asking, but I'm thinking it's the actual PS3 that is the problem? Anamorphic widescreen should not affect the ways that you can display the picture on your television. Perhaps the Ps3 does not offer a wide, wide zoom, normal option, but your tv should. Is this helping any?

As far as black bars or not, this is a huge topic amongst HD adopters and there are a few threads open about them. The black bars ARE intentional and in many opinions desired.
Example, on a standard dvd player you have letterbox or 16:9 aspect ratio options on the dvd player. If you put it on 16:9 option it will strecth a letterbox picture 2:35 aspect into 1:85 aspect and a 1:85 into a full frame. If im not mistaken, you cant do that with bluray, right?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodified View Post
Example, on a standard dvd player you have letterbox or 16:9 aspect ratio options on the dvd player. If you put it on 16:9 option it will strecth a letterbox picture 2:35 aspect into 1:85 aspect and a 1:85 into a full frame. If im not mistaken, you cant do that with bluray, right?
No, you can't do that on Blu-ray.

Blu-ray video is natively 16:9 in shape, using 1920x1080 square pixels. For a 2.35:1 movie, the black bars are encoded as part of that picture.

DVD works a little differently. Those discs have 720x480 non-square pixels, which are stretched to fill the screen. There is no stretching involved with Blu-ray or HD DVD.
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Supermodified's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
No, you can't do that on Blu-ray.

Blu-ray video is natively 16:9 in shape, using 1920x1080 square pixels. For a 2.35:1 movie, the black bars are encoded as part of that picture.

DVD works a little differently. Those discs have 720x480 non-square pixels, which are stretched to fill the screen. There is no stretching involved with Blu-ray or HD DVD.
Is it possible that someday they will change that where your able to strectch the picture? I remember dvds started off that same way when they were first released. They only supported the aspect ratio of the film.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodified View Post
Is it possible that someday they will change that where your able to strectch the picture? I remember dvds started off that same way when they were first released. They only supported the aspect ratio of the film.
I thin you misunderstand some things here.

DVD came out and you have two versions of the film, one was widescreen and one was pan-and-scan. pan-and-scan cuts the sides off a film to fit the 4:3 display. widescreen used the whole image but had to encode black bars on the top and bottom to make it fit the 4:3 screen.

Later, anamorphic DVDs were created for widescreen displays which has 16:9 aspect. These DVDs still had black encoded on top and bottom for 2.35:1 films because it still didn't match the 16:9 aspect.

Anamorphic simply means squeezing the picture that is wide into a square frame, which makes everything skinny and tall. This square frame is stretched out wide to fill the screen making the right proportions again.

Blu-ray and HD DVD (as well as HDTV broadcast) doesn't use an anamorphic process because the frame is not 4:3 but 16:9. No stretching and squeezing involved. A 2.35:1 movie will still have black bars encoded on the disc, just like widescreen DVD and anamorphic DVD. There is no other way to do it.

I think you're asking when pan-and-scan Blu-rays are coming out which crop the sides off the 2.35:1 movies to fill your 1.76:1 aspect television. I hope never.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Supermodified's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
I thin you misunderstand some things here.

DVD came out and you have two versions of the film, one was widescreen and one was pan-and-scan. pan-and-scan cuts the sides off a film to fit the 4:3 display. widescreen used the whole image but had to encode black bars on the top and bottom to make it fit the 4:3 screen.

Later, anamorphic DVDs were created for widescreen displays which has 16:9 aspect. These DVDs still had black encoded on top and bottom for 2.35:1 films because it still didn't match the 16:9 aspect.

Anamorphic simply means squeezing the picture that is wide into a square frame, which makes everything skinny and tall. This square frame is stretched out wide to fill the screen making the right proportions again.

Blu-ray and HD DVD (as well as HDTV broadcast) doesn't use an anamorphic process because the frame is not 4:3 but 16:9. No stretching and squeezing involved. A 2.35:1 movie will still have black bars encoded on the disc, just like widescreen DVD and anamorphic DVD. There is no other way to do it.

I think you're asking when pan-and-scan Blu-rays are coming out which crop the sides off the 2.35:1 movies to fill your 1.76:1 aspect television. I hope never.
Cool, thanks i understand now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Sy- Sy- is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
I think you're asking when pan-and-scan Blu-rays are coming out which crop the sides off the 2.35:1 movies to fill your 1.76:1 aspect television. I hope never.
Shhh..... don't give them any ideas.... Can you imagine if they took a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie and cut off the sides so that it would fill a HDTV screen. I think a lot of people here would have an aneurysm.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy- View Post
Shhh..... don't give them any ideas.... Can you imagine if they took a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie and cut off the sides so that it would fill a HDTV screen. I think a lot of people here would have an aneurysm.
TNTHD does that with their movies occasionally. I was going to watch The Patriot (a 2.35:1 film) and lo and behold, it filled the whole screen. It wasn't stretched like most of their programming...it was just cropped. I turned the channel instantly.

Last edited by LizardMan101; 10-31-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Blu-News.com's Avatar
Always SpartanJohnson
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,543
Default

Lol....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why no vertically-stretched niche blu-ray market, for anamorphic lenses? malakai Home Theater Gear 1 09-15-2015 11:20 PM
Original STAR WARS - Non-Anamorphic? STR8UP&DOWN Film Forum 4 03-18-2009 08:41 AM
A&E HiDef broadcast True Lies but image was fake anamorphic? widescreenforever HDTV Programming and Info 1 02-16-2008 11:05 PM
Another Issue Has Popped Up: Non-Anamorphic DVDs on the Panny 10A... Blu Camry SE Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 5 12-24-2007 05:11 AM
HD-A2 and non-anamorphic DVDs? hellgrammite00 HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 17 06-20-2007 03:59 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off