Quick questions about HDMI and Component cables. Please help. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-27-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Quick questions about HDMI and Component cables. Please help.

So my tv does not have an extra port for the hdmi cables so my question is are the component cables still good enough to experiance the hi def quality? They down grade or anything do they? And also do they come with the Sony's BDP-S301 cause thats the one im getting otherwise i gotta by them seperate.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:41 AM

This isn't about software.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:43 AM

The component cables will carry the hd signal fine, but generally do not provide quite as clear an image as using HDMI. You could, of course, buy an hdmi switcher that you would connect to the one hdmi port on your tv, and which would then allow you to connect as many hdmi connections as you like depending on which switcher you buy. In other words, some switchers are 2 IN/ 1 OUT or 3 IN/ 1 OUT, etc. etc.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:46 AM

Yeah he maybe knows that. LOL.

Also, the ONLY cables that will come with your player are not even component, but shitty COMPOSITE! (red, white, /yellow)
uhhhhhh, don't use these
Old 10-27-2007, 01:00 AM

44 posts and 16 threads! I think thats a record
Old 10-27-2007, 02:07 AM

I've never had to compare hdmi/component so there's nothing I can say re that, but you can use the supplied composite cable for the component connections, it's just a cable the actual colour doesn't make a difference. You just need to make sure you match up the same coloured connections, like use the white for both green & yellow for both blue. (if you get my meaning...)

Of course that doesn't alter the fact that the supplied cable is shitty & you'll get better performance from a decent QED (or your prefered cable manufacturer) cable. (depending on the rest of your kit)

Last edited by holsty101; 10-27-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Also, the ONLY cables that will come with your player are not even component, but shitty COMPOSITE! (red, white, /yellow)
uhhhhhh, don't use these
It doesn't actually matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
You can actually use any RCA connector cable as a component cable. People just find it convenient to use the ones marked as such (so the colors line up), and the people at Best Buy and other retail stores are delighted to sell you more expensive cables that are actually the same thing. Composite, analog audio, digital coaxial, subwoofer, and component cables are all actually identical--they are all 75Ω coaxial cables. They make them in different colors for convenience and sell people new cables they don't actually need based on the misconception that they are all actually different.

I've never seen a media player come without some kind of cables, but the ones included are never remotely good. You can use the ones that come in the box, but you'll probably be disappointed with the quality. I think they include those cables only so that you'll have something to use temporarily if you forgot to buy cables, or are really cheap.
Obviously the ones that come in boxes are the cheapest thing this side of running string with RCA connectors tied to the ends (and no, that won't actually work! ), but they would technically work.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
44 posts and 16 threads! I think thats a record
Someone really ought to put a stop to it. It's obnoxious.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0987654321 View Post
So my tv does not have an extra port for the hdmi cables so my question is are the component cables still good enough to experiance the hi def quality? They down grade or anything do they? And also do they come with the Sony's BDP-S301 cause thats the one im getting otherwise i gotta by them seperate.
You're going to have to find out if your TV supports 1080p with component cables. If it doesn't you might want to switch the player with the device that is currently using the HDMI input (assuming the HDMI supports 1080p). I don't think I would go with a HDMI switch, I would bet a good one would be expensive (might be better with a new TV, they are getting ridiculously inexpensive) and can mess with the copy protection built in to the HDMI output.

So youíre going to need to purchase component cables (and the quality does matter because itís not a digital signal like the HDMI), and I would also think about getting 5.1 audio cables to go to your receiver. Most receivers cannot covert the new audio formats, so this will let the player handle it. Please just donít waste $100+ at BestB*y on cables. There are many companies that sell quality cables online for a reasonable price.