'Scary Movie' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-23-2007, 01:54 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Scary Movie' - High-Def Digest review

Peter's review of 'Scary Movie' is up. He says this Blu-ray release is something of a mixed bag. The excellent video transfer surpassed his expectations, but unfortunately neither the audio nor the supplements offer much of an upgrade over the DVD.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/899/scarymovie.html
Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

I love how he gave Kung Fu Hustle, a parody movie in of itself, a better rating than this.

SCARY MOVE WAS REVOLUTIONARY. It started the parody movies.. hell kung fu hustle probably came about cuz of this.

Just got finished watching it.. one of the funniest movies of all time.. Love it too much

Oh now come on.. the racial stereotypes in this movie was sooo funny.. Shorty MADE the movie.

What would be your final words to the victim?

RUN B*TCH RUN!

Or the report card scene..

DUMBASS

Hey, at least you got an A!

This was Wayans brothers masterpiece.. definite 5 star movie.. kept me laughing the entire time

And the comment about the "matrix style bullets has been over done"

Im 100 percent sure this was the first movie to actually PARODY that. So how can you say it has been overdone when this was the first movie that came out with it lol

Last edited by Ice2Dragon; 10-23-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Dragon View Post
SCARY MOVE WAS REVOLUTIONARY. It started the parody movies.. hell kung fu hustle probably came about cuz of this.
Never seen Student Bodies(1981)? That movie is a classic Horror parody flick and its hilarious. Scary movie is good, but my favorite Wayan parody movie is Don't be a menace to south central while drinking your juice in the hood. I'm gonna get you sucka, loaded weapon, and hot shots are great also... And just about everything with Leslie Nielsen.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Although I like this movie, the Parody films began with Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:10 PM

I usually ingore Peter's review of the movie because some of the better ones get low reviews... I am glad the PQ of this one is great as I was looking foreward to buying it... Can't complain about the AQ because it is a comdey, and one should not expect a glorious soundtrack, so I will order this one...
Old 10-23-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I love how he gave Kung Fu Hustle, a parody movie in of itself, a better rating than this.

what ? Peter reviewed this (Scary Movie) and Kenneth reviewed Kung Fu Hustle, they are 2 different reviewers
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:

You're joking right? There's a long history of parody films going through the 70s, 80, and 90s. Hell, the filmmakers who took over the Scary Movie series are the REAL pioneers of this genre that Scary Movie fits into.

Not that Scary Movie wasn't funny...it was...but it wasn't revolutionary.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

I am so getting this shit! This shit was hilarious as hell! I FINALLY saw this movie last week! I can't wait for the Blu-ray to hit my stores.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:57 AM

Just watched this movie... 4 1/2 PQ my ass!... The colors were nice and vibrant but there was no sharpness to the movie... I read the review on blu-ray.com and they gave it 3 1/2 which is more accurate than Kenneth's score...
Old 11-29-2007, 01:31 AM

This review was WAY off. I just picked up this disc based on his recommendation and was astonished at the picture quality. "Exceedingly sharp"???? Perhaps he means not sharp at all. "Complete lack of noise"???? If that means a very noisy and compressed picture then the reviewer was spot on! The image was very, very soft and backgrounds were muddy throughout. Compression artifacts were very visible throughout the film, and in the dark scenes noise and macroblocking was VERY evident. I just had to voice my displeasure over this awful review. It is too bad! Was this really an AVC/Mpeg4 codec done transfer as he states in his review? It sure looks like MPEG 2 to me! This was an ugly looking transfer that could have looked a LOT better!