Sleepy Hollow -- Still Grainy - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2006, 01:08 AM
PeterB

Thumbs up Sleepy Hollow -- Still Grainy

Making my way through the Paramount Blu-ray titles. Got to 'Sleepy Hollow' just in time for Halloween:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/sleepyhollow1999.html

Still a pretty grainy, dank movie. Wish the source was a bit cleaner -- I suspect Paramount hasn't touched the master for years. Still, though this one barely squeaked by, as the film looks appropriatelly gloomy and Tim Burton-y...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:26 AM

It'll still be a purchase for me. I loved this movie and I don't necessarily need it pristine.

May have to double dip if they come up with a superior "special" version in the future. We'll see.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Judging by your review the pq doesn't seem to be that different from the HD-DVD. Another one I'll wait on...
Old 10-20-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
It'll still be a purchase for me. I loved this movie and I don't necessarily need it pristine.

May have to double dip if they come up with a superior "special" version in the future. We'll see.
I will also get it despite any minor deficiencies. I loved the film like I loves
taffy... <Adam West voice> and I'm a man who loves his taffy.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 PM

i've always been fascinated with the legend of sleepy hollow and i've been wanting to see this movie for a long time and i was deciding on whether or not i should blind buy it or not. i finally did today, after reading the legend a little while again and i finished it about a half hour ago. i liked it alot, but i thought and i wish that the movie needed/had a lot more scary and suspenseful feel to it, like the story and plays. i like johnny depp but hes not the best for a role like this and i guess that i should have expected this type of movie from tim burton, a serious movie nontheless but with some silly parts to it but i guess that i had it coming cuz that how all of burtons films are that i've seen (the what now seem awful batmans to the now amazing batman begins, beetlejuice, this movie). i liked it alot but i wish the movie was twice as scary as it was bloody or at least as scary as the legend is. decent movie, glad i bought it and saw it but probably wont be watching again until this halloween if that.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:11 PM

BostonMA, what did you think about Christopher Walkin? I thought he was perfectly cast.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:12 PM

I would think there would be intentional grain in Sleepy Hollow due to the type of movie it is.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:06 AM

This is the only Blu-Ray I've bought, watched, and sold in favor of keeping
the DVD version. I love the movie, but the graininess is so severe on the
Blu-Ray version that I found it distracting and irritating. I flipped back and
forth between the DVD (upscaled) and the Blu-Ray, comparing several
scenes, and I honestly prefer the look of the DVD, even though it is less
detailed. It's a much smoother, easier-to-look-at picture.

Some people defend this much film grain as an artistic decision, and
that's fine...I just personally don't care for it. Your mileage may vary.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
Some people defend this much film grain as an artistic decision, and that's fine...I just personally don't care for it. Your mileage may vary.
Me neither, I don't even know if that's the intention, I just figured they have added this grain for a reason - being a "old creepy" type movie and all.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideybat View Post
BostonMA, what did you think about Christopher Walkin? I thought he was perfectly cast.
yeah, i'm huge christopher walken fan and i also thought that he was perfectly casted as thye headless horseman, i loved how they made his character not speak any realw ords, just raw screaming but yes, i thought that he was perfectly casted for the role but as much as i like depp, i think that his acting was not what the movie should of had. like i said, he was too silly in too many parts of the movie, i thought that the movie should have been more scary and suspenseful but nevertheless, great movie and for the people that were talking about the grain in the movie, that didnt bother me at all cuz of the way it was filmed (blue camera lens, 1700s/1800s feel to it).

i didnt feel like doing a mulitple quote haha.