My Fly Review. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-16-2007, 11:51 PM

Default My Fly Review.

The movie: 4.5/5
Classic, classic, yadda, yadda. Everyone knows that the movie's great.

The picture: 4.25/5
Surprisingly great. Great detail, and just the right amount of film grain. I really can't imagine the movie looking any better. My only gripe is that right after the *SPOILER* potential abortion scene where Brundle takes Geena Davis away *SPOILER* there is a huge amount of grain. It was kind of odd, and looked like crap in comparison to the rest of the picture. Overall, though, this is an excellent job.

The sound: 4/5
Nice use of dynamic sound, with some excellent bass. Dialogue is crystal clear. Overall a solid mix. No real complaints here, but not really demo material, either.

Extras: 4.5/5
Thank God Fox stepped up on this one. After the shitfest that was Robocop, I was looking forward to this one. All the extras from the previous DVD were ported over, including the great documentary, now with branching video paths. Also included are a great commentary, some cool deleted scenes, storyboards, film tests, still galleries, and trailer. An assload of stuff.

As for Blu-ray stuff, there's a cool Search Content feature, which has a pretty large collection of keywords, like Baboon, and lists and takes you to the scenes that have something to do with that keyword. Kind of nifty. Also has a worthless java game. It's shitty by cellphone game standards. There's also a trivia track, which is neat, but useless. Also available is personal scene selections, which I would never use.

The only downside is that the extras are all standard definition, which, you know, I'm not a fan of. Still doesn't detract from the stellar set here, but it probably would have bumped this score up to a 5/5.

The total: 4.5/5

This is about as great as The Fly is going to get on home video. Find a copy of this disc if you're a fan, and try to find it if you've never seen it. If you don't like the movie, then learn to like good movies. I know this one is either hard to find or overpriced, but it's easy and fairly cheap to buy on eBay, where I bought my copy. It's worth it.

Last edited by DrAndonuts; 10-17-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:10 AM

Great review, thanks. I'd take this review over one of Bracke's or Brown's anyday.