'Day of the Dead' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-12-2007, 01:37 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Day of the Dead' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of 'Day of the Dead' is up. He says the video on this Blu-ray edition is an upgrade over the DVD, but it canít compete with the best high-def catalog transfers. The audio is more disappointing, with two surround remixing failing to improve upon the filmís original mono track. On the bright side, all of the major extras from the flickís most recent Divimax DVD release have been ported over, and we even get a brand new Blu-ray-exclusive "Fast Film Facts" subtitle track.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/968/...edead1985.html
Old 10-12-2007, 01:43 AM

I'll record this off Monsters HD.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 AM

I'd like to watch this again... i dunno if a double dip is in order though
Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 AM

Im getting 28 Weeks Later instead of this.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Banned

Ive never read ANY review where someone stated "Day of the dead was better than dawn of the dead, and more action packed"

THE HELL!? YOURE JOKING!?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:02 AM

I think the review is pretty accurate, concerning the PQ and AQ. It's definitely not up to the standard of Dawn of the Dead in that regard. For someone who had never seen Day of the Dead though, I would still think that the Blu-ray version is recommendable. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine a DVD version looking or sounding better.

Between the two movies, I'm hard pressed to favor one over the other. I thought Day of the Dead was very entertaining, and I really liked the Bub character. Don't forget about that over-the-top gore and special effects...

I'm glad I don't have to choose a favorite between the two!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Dragon View Post
Ive never read ANY review where someone stated "Day of the dead was better than dawn of the dead, and more action packed"

And you still haven't read a review that says that. Where on earth did you see that line in my review? I think you need to read things far more carefully.

I wrote about 'Day's prioritization of its satire over its entertainment value. Directly from the review:

"'Day of the Dead' engaged my intelligence more frequently than the action-packed 'Dawn of the Dead.' Romero's elimination of attractive qualities extends to his lead characters and amplifies the inherent humanity in his intended Everyman -- Bub. That's not to say that 'Day of the Dead' is great cinema or that it trumps 'Dawn of the Dead.'"

Romero admits to as much in his commentary (concerning the prioritization between the entertainment and the satire). Notice I even went the extra step of specifically clarifying that 'Dawn' is still the better of the two in my opinion. I even gave 'Dawn' a higher film rating.

This is the third time in a week that I've had to correct your interpretation of one of our reviews after an angry post -- please read the text more carefully!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
And you still haven't read a review that says that. Where on earth did you see that line in my review? I think you need to read things far more carefully.

I wrote about 'Day's prioritization of its satire over its entertainment value:

"'Day of the Dead' engaged my intelligence more frequently than the action-packed 'Dawn of the Dead.' Romero's elimination of attractive qualities extends to his lead characters and amplifies the inherent humanity in his intended Everyman -- Bub. That's not to say that 'Day of the Dead' is great cinema or that it trumps 'Dawn of the Dead.'"

Romero admits to as much in his commentary. Notice I even went the extra step of specifically clarifying that 'Dawn' is still the better of the two in my opinion. I even gave 'Dawn' a higher film rating.

This is the third time in a week that I've had to correct your interpretation of one of our reviews after an angry post -- please read them closer!
Second time, get it right. And ive been correct on both of them. Where am I angry again..?

"engaged my intelligence more frequently than the action packed dawn of the dead"

Try writing some reviews that make sense.. and where you actually WATCH the movies.. everything I pointed out in 28 weeks later that I said WAS TRUE. Any reviewer who points out "i dont wanna reveal spoilers" did not watch the film!

And the above quote just reinforces the theory, "intelligence more frequently than the action packed", same thing.

And you didnt write the other review, peter did. he never stepped in and sent u to explain it FOR him. last I checked, he still hadn't. So unless you read minds, you tried to explain what he meant, yet he never did. Once again.. not starting things.. merely explaining.

But if youre gonna write reviews, take criticism. Thats all.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Dragon View Post

Huh!? You're not reading or quoteing him correctly.

"engaged my intelligence more frequently than the action packed dawn of the dead"

Means that dawn of the dead was action packed.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:00 AM

Not Romero's best film, but it's still a powerful piece ( far better than Land of the Dead) and Tom Savini's effects work is amazing.