'Night of the Werewolf'/'Vengeance of the Zombies' -- pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 PM
PeterB

Default 'Night of the Werewolf'/'Vengeance of the Zombies' -- pre-release buzz

BCI has announced the first next gen title from its genre label, Deimos Entertainment:

A double feature of two Paul Naschy cult favorites, 'Night of the Werewolf' and 'Vengeance of the Zombies.'

Each has been remastered in high-definition, though exact video and audio specs are still TBA. Extras include new introductions by Naschy, deleted scenes, still galleries and theatrical trailers.

Retail is $29.98.

Disc Details:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/nigh...hezombies.html

Last edited by jed; 10-12-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 AM

Never heard of either one of these. Maybe when 08's halloween draws nearer I might consider purchasing these.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 AM

Grindhouse comes to Blu Ray...

Some links for people to check details of both titles out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069165/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081415/

I'll give it a miss
Old 10-12-2007, 07:39 PM

Whatever happened to these titles on HD DVD? They were both supposed to come out on HD DVD last year, and have apparently been put indefinitely "on hold". (Both are still available for "pre-order" on DVD Empire, for example.)
Old 10-12-2007, 09:29 PM

Because of the delay I got the SDs for 15 bucks at BB earlier this year(really fine transfers). But a small niche' of cult horror "fans" are Naschy fans, I can't see sales being great. I'll believe this when I see it. Where's Sister Street Fighter and Golgo 13?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:26 AM

This is GREAT news. Finally, some cult/horror movies (not Anchor Bay Starz re-issues) being released on Blu.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 PM

Jut got confirmation from Amazon. My copy has been shipped.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:18 AM

Yeah, this has enough technical issues that I would say to avoid it until BCI gets a better grip on what they're doing.

Night of the Werewolf has not amazing image quality, but what really bugged me was a weird judder problem of the type that happens when you play a cheaply mastered DVD on a computer that can't figure out how to deinterlace it properly. No jaggies whatsoever, but the entire movie jerked and stuttered in a very uniform, 3:2 pulldown kind of way. This is over component in 1080i; maybe this problem disappears in 1080p. Nonetheless this is the only high def release so far in which I've seen such a thing.

Vengeance of the Zombies I've only flipped through so far, but it looks great, with a lot of sharp detail and no out-of-place judder. Unfortunately it seems to have that fabled freezing problem BCI is already getting a reputation for. Five to ten seconds after the start of each chapter I skipped to the image would freeze momentarily, then continue on (nothing happened with the soundtrack). It hasn't "frozen" in the sense of freezing up the player, but this is pretty bad. I didn't notice whether this affected sync or not, but I'll be finding that out soon enough.

Too bad, because it's nice to see movies this obscure on Blu-ray, and it's clear BCI at least wants to do this well; the menus are nice, the transfers range from competent to surprisingly good and the extras are nothing to sneeze at.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:50 AM

i have the freezing problems on both disks
Old 02-28-2008, 03:50 AM

Vengeance of the zombies played perfectly for me