'Evil Dead 2' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Evil Dead 2' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Kenneth's review of 'Evil Dead 2.' A huge fan of the film itself, he says the audio/video quality of this Blu-ray release won't stand out from the high-def crowd, but it can still offer you a great time this Halloween.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/970/evildead2.html
Old 10-10-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Classic

This movie is classic. Thats all I have to say about that. The picture quality is no suprise but I am suprised about the audio rating. I figured it would sound like crap even with a remaster.

-dad
Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 PM

I agree with the review, great job. Had I waited to read your review it would have saved me the purchase.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:51 PM

Yeah, think I'll just stick with my good old DVD of this one.
One thing about the recap at the beginning, I think Raimi made it a tradition to recap the previous story different from how the movie actually went in these films. In Army of Darkness, the recap is also completely different from the actual ending in Evil Dead 2. I suspect if they made a 4th film it would also change the events of Army of Darkness.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM

I actually watched it last week and I have to say from a Blu-Ray fan's standpoint that I was a little disappointed. I guess after watching "Open Season" and newer films where the lack of any grain is so apparent and it blows your mind to see an older film where you see grain in the dark areas, it just makes you wonder if you're watching an upconverted dvd or High Def... I love the movie to death, but I was really expecting somethnig mind-blowing from the HD... never got that feeling.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 PM

I actually did not mind EVIL DEAD 2's transfer. It is about what expected considering the original source and past DVD releases. It looks the best it ever has on BLU RAY in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 PM

From the age and budget of the film, all that could really be expected from this release is an upgrade in quality. It was never going to be fantastic but didn't expect it to either.
Will give it a look.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:39 PM

If it's anyhting like the Army Of Darkness HD-DVD transfer, than I'll be a happy chappy. yes, it's no stunner, but it's a nice upgrade over any of the previous dvd's.

I don't know how people can expect a low budget 20 yr old film like this to suddenly turn to gold upon a high-def release. Talk about wishful thinking, this ain't no Jerry Bruckheimer production kiddies.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 PM

I picked this up, and I'm very happy with my purchase.

I think that sometimes we get too caught up in all this hi def PQ hype, and we forget that we're buying A MOVIE. IMO, Evil Dead 2 is worth $25 regardless of the format and picture quality...its just THAT GOOD of a movie.

As for the PQ though, I do agree that its a little below average for a Hi-Def release...but like everyone else already said, its a 20 plus year old low budget film. When looked at from that view point, the film looks pretty damn good. Besides, even though it doesn't look like the greatest Blu-Ray on the market, its still an obvious improvement over the standard DVD.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 PM

I just want Evil Dead 1, it was the first horror film I watched.