28 Days Later Bluray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 02:26 AM

Default 28 Days Later Bluray

Just rented this. I saw 28 Days in theatres and didn't like that much then but I figured I'd give it another chance on Bluray. That was a mistake. But besides my problems with the movie itself, the transfer is the worst I've ever seen on any Hidef release, HDVD or Bluray. No question. I really want to hear what the people who hated the Evil Dead 2 and Day transfers have to say after they've seen this.

The menu looks great, the sound is above average and all the other Fox blu trailers look amazing. (Just compare any of the FOX trailers to the actual movie and see the difference)

Without a doubt, this is the worst hidef transfer thats ever made it to retail. I don't know if its because of the source or because someone in the transfer department made a huge mistake, but either way its inexcusable and the disc should be recalled ASAP. This could easily be another 5th Element style situation.

If anyone else here has seen it please post your thoughts/review.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out_for_Justice View Post
Just rented this. I saw 28 Days in theatres and didn't like that much then but I figured I'd give it another chance on Bluray. That was a mistake. But besides my problems with the movie itself, the transfer is the worst I've ever seen on any Hidef release, HDVD or Bluray. No question. I really want to hear what the people who hated the Evil Dead 2 and Day transfers have to say after they've seen this.

The menu looks great, the sound is above average and all the other Fox blu trailers look amazing. (Just compare any of the FOX trailers to the actual movie and see the difference)

Without a doubt, this is the worst hidef transfer thats ever made it to retail. I don't know if its because of the source or because someone in the transfer department made a huge mistake, but either way its inexcusable and the disc should be recalled ASAP. This could easily be another 5th Element style situation.

If anyone else here has seen it please post your thoughts/review.
What are you talking about? Evil dead, day of the dead, were some of the WORST transfers ever. The picture in this yes does suck, its not as good as it could have been, the sequel definitely looks a lot better.

From what I recall about this movie, it wasn't shot at all in HD, I think they used hand held cameras for the majority of it, and it was shot on a very low budget.

I feel you are being harsh on this movie, I loved the movie, the extras, the audio, the PQ needed some work, but its not as bad as ED, DOTD, or some of the other recent sheot thats come out.. I think its another good release from fox, and well worth the money.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:40 AM

The original DVD was given low marks by some reviewers because of the what they thought was the low quality of the transfer. Though that was the intention of the director. It wasn't meant to look like a slick movie, but rough and grainy and more in line with a documentary. If I recall correctly that is.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 AM

If thats the intention, fine, I imagine thats what it has to be considering the quality. And even if this movie is intended to be grainy, this transfer is much, much worse than Miami Vice HDVD and Collateral which were both shot with those same intentions. I mean really, you know a Bluray transfer is garbage when parts of this movie look they were filmed on a webcam. So if the transfer is supposed to look that terrible, why bring it to Bluray?

There is no question that this transfer is worse than Day and EDII, just look at the outdoor scene towards the end when theyre all on the back of a truck headed to the military base, their faces are so blurry and unclear that its hard to even tell whos who. Its not just the grain that makes this transfer much less than subpar, the visuals are blurry, muddy and have almost no detial. I'd like to hear from some other people who've seen the transfer And for the record, I'm not trashing the 28 Days with this thread, my opinion of the transfer has nothing to do with my opinion of the movie.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:59 AM

I've been reading a lot about this. Apparently it isn't a bad transfer, its bad source material for HD. I spent $35 on it and if it looks like standard def quality, I'm not bothering with it.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 AM

I watched it today also. Rented it from Netflix. I agree it's the worst hidef transfer I've seen. Whether it was the director's intention, bad source material or whatever I am so glad I didn't pay money for it.

Really bad transfer.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 AM

I have to say I'm sticking with the SD. Precisely for the reason mentioned above: it dose'nt improve on the image quality.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:47 PM

I will stick with m y SD DVD if the PQ is as nad as people here are saying it is. I will just pick up the SD DVD and Blu-ray of 28 weeks later instead
Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 PM

This isn't a bad transfer. 28 Days Later was filmed in 576p. The blu ray release can't restore information that was never there in the first place.

28 Days Later looked dreadful in the cinema, look underwhelming on DVD and will look dreadful on blu ray.

It's a very odd release choice from Fox.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out_for_Justice View Post
If thats the intention, fine, I imagine thats what it has to be considering the quality. And even if this movie is intended to be grainy, this transfer is much, much worse than Miami Vice HDVD and Collateral which were both shot with those same intentions.
Uhh, the difference is that Miami Vice and Collateral were shot on Thompson Viper Filmstream cameras which run at full 1080p resolution. 28 Days Later was shot in, essentially, PAL video.

This is like complaining that a film shot on 8mm film doesn't look as good as some other films shot on 16mm film just because 16mm also doesn't look as good as 35mm.

Whether it's worth getting on Blu-Ray is up for debate. I suppose it depends on how much you like audio quality and if MPEG2 artifacting bugs you.