My Robocop Review. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-09-2007, 09:45 PM

Default My Robocop Review.

The movie: 5/5

This is one of my favorite movies, right up there with Starship Troopers and Rushmore. This is an action movie that has just enough camp, but doesn't mock itself. I won't get into this part. It's a must see. And yes, this is the UNRATED version.

The video: 3.75/5

Better than the old (cancelled) Blu release, from what I've heard. This is the best the movie has looked on home video, no question. Has enough grain to keep it filmlike, and I didn't notice much edge enhancement. Has some dirt and I noticed a few speckles. Dark scenes have a bit too much grain, but it's acceptable. This is not demo material, but great for fans. I'm happy enough with this transfer, but looking at catalogue titles like The Warriors, it could be better. I'll put it this way: don't be surprised to see a new edition a year or two down the road.

The audio: 3.5/5

Not bad. Both the 5.1 and 4.0 setups are pretty good, with enough bass when needed. You won't mistake this for a big budget modern film. The sound is appropriate for a film of it's age, but, again, don't be surprised to see a new edition.

The extras: dick/10

I don't need to go into detail. If you're reading this review, you obviously read the forums and know the universal pissed-offery that everyone is feeling towards Fox. A special edition was released less than two months ago with a decent amount of extras, and they neglected to port anything. Fox needs to get their act together, or they could help sink Blu-ray.

Overall: 3.5/10

If this had the extras from the Anniversary Edition, this would most likely be a 4 or 4.5. As it is, it's a competent release. If you love this movie, like I do, it's worth a buy. I paid 25 bucks for it, and it was overpriced. If you've never seen the movie and are interested, just spring for the Special Edition DVD. This is not worth the 40 dollar retail. It's a decent enough VQ/AQ package, but it's pretty much a "fuck you" to the fans. Ironically, that's the only people I could recommend this release to.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Formerly candymangt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAndonuts View Post
The movie: 5/5

This is one of my favorite movies, right up there with Starship Troopers and Rushmore. This is an action movie that has just enough camp, but doesn't mock itself. I won't get into this part. It's a must see. And yes, this is the UNRATED version.

The video: 3.75/5

Better than the old (cancelled) Blu release, from what I've heard. This is the best the movie has looked on home video, no question. Has enough grain to keep it filmlike, and I didn't notice much edge enhancement. Has some dirt and I noticed a few speckles. Dark scenes have a bit too much grain, but it's acceptable. This is not demo material, but great for fans. I'm happy enough with this transfer, but looking at catalogue titles like The Warriors, it could be better. I'll put it this way: don't be surprised to see a new edition a year or two down the road.

The audio: 3.5/5

Not bad. Both the 5.1 and 4.0 setups are pretty good, with enough bass when needed. You won't mistake this for a big budget modern film. The sound is appropriate for a film of it's age, but, again, don't be surprised to see a new edition.

I don't need to go into detail. If you're reading this review, you obviously read the forums and know the universal pissed-offery that everyone is feeling towards Fox. A special edition was released less than two months ago with a decent amount of extras, and they neglected to port anything. Fox needs to get their act together, or they could help sink Blu-ray.

Overall: 3.5/10

If this had the extras from the Anniversary Edition, this would most likely be a 4 or 4.5. As it is, it's a competent release. If you love this movie, like I do, it's worth a buy. I paid 25 bucks for it, and it was overpriced. If you've never seen the movie and are interested, just spring for the Special Edition DVD. This is not worth the 40 dollar retail. It's a decent enough VQ/AQ package, but it's pretty much a "fuck you" to the fans. Ironically, that's the only people I could recommend this release to.
Thanks for the review, I'll be sticking with my 20th Anniv DVD I just bought almost 2 months ago. Upscaled in my A2, the Anniv DVD doesn't look too bad.

Have you seen the Anniv Ed DVD? How is the PQ comparison between the two?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 PM

Now that I know it's the UNRATED version, I'm in. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:49 PM

It's a decent jump, PQ-wise. Nothing earth-shattering, but decent enough to where I could see a noticeable difference. I'm thinking about just sticking my bonus disc from the anniversary edition in the Blu and just calling it even.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 PM

thanks for the update on it
Old 10-09-2007, 11:18 PM

Sounds good. I'll be watching it later this week.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
It's a decent jump, PQ-wise. Nothing earth-shattering, but decent enough to where I could see a noticeable difference. I'm thinking about just sticking my bonus disc from the anniversary edition in the Blu and just calling it even.
+1. It is decent, has allot of grain, but you can see the difference and I am sticking with the Blu-ray version and holding my bonus disc also

Spideybat --> Its the unrated version
Old 10-09-2007, 11:36 PM

I saw this flick so much on TV that Im sick of it!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
So on a scale from 1 to 5 would that be more flaccid or shrivelled ? Thanks for the review though. I had to order it off amazon.ca since Best Buy, Futureshop and Wal-Mart in my area don't carry it.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 PM

Here we go again. Two people have told me it IS the R-Rated version. That the back is a misprint.