'Dawn of the Dead' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-09-2007, 01:58 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Dawn of the Dead' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Kenneth's review of 'Dawn of the Dead.' A huge fan of the film itself, he says this Blu-ray release is a nice upgrade over previous DVD editions, even if the low-budget origins of the material prevent it from being a top-tier catalog release.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/967/...edead1978.html
Old 10-09-2007, 02:01 PM

I might pick this one up, I remember watching it on tv years ago and enjoying it.

It sounds like the transfer is as good as its going to get?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:04 PM

I am definetly going to pick this one up. I know everyone has told me that I should have preorderd this one, but I'm still waiting for it to actually arrive at my best buy.
It's funny cause I told myself I would wait for the review to come out before picking this one up, so for a week-later review this has worked out for me.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:58 PM

I bought this from best buy makeing them price match fry.com Got it for a great $17.99.

Watched the first half last night. I did some side by side vs the upconverted ultimate version.

There is definitly a very very nice upgrade in clarity. Much appreciated to see a favorite film of mine like this. Only wish it could have bit a little bit of a better transfer.

Definitly a keeper for me though. Even though it's a double dip and isn't even the extended version.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:59 PM

I'll likely buy this one. I saw it at Best Buy last week but didn't bite as I was already buying a couple of others.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

I just blew 160 bucks at bb today on 5 new releases.. damn them.

I think the movie deserved a 3.5 or 4 star video quality, not 3. its definitely better than a lot of the other catalog titles that are out right now, or some that have been out.

It is a great movie, but the supplements were a little thin, Im pretty sure they were missing more than what was posted. Ill have to go back and look at all the special features that were included throughout the years of rereleasing this.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Dragon View Post
I just blew 160 bucks at bb today on 5 new releases.. damn them.

I think the movie deserved a 3.5 or 4 star video quality, not 3. its definitely better than a lot of the other catalog titles that are out right now, or some that have been out.

It is a great movie, but the supplements were a little thin, Im pretty sure they were missing more than what was posted. Ill have to go back and look at all the special features that were included throughout the years of rereleasing this.
If one of your purchases today was the Robocop release can you tell me if it was the Unrated version? I know someone posted the backcover on another post saying it was the Unrated version, but I need physical proof I won't be able to pick it up till later on today and can't wait to find out...As for teh 160 Dollar purchase, yeah my wallet is going to take a hit today
Old 10-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Pixel View Post
If one of your purchases today was the Robocop release can you tell me if it was the Unrated version?
It is the R-rated version, and the reason I won't buy it.

Edit: I see what you mean. Can someone else explain this:

Old 10-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

So it is the rated, screw that. No one around me had a copy of it in, glad i didnt buy it. Can anyone who RECEIVED IT today confirm that it is the rated?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideybat View Post
It is the R-rated version, and the reason I won't buy it.

Edit: I see what you mean. Can someone else explain this:
The two biggest differences between the cuts are the scenes in the board room and where Peter Weller is killed are super-bloody and violent in the unrated -- enough so that you'd notice. I believe in the former scene, the exec's body falls across a table and the robot continues to pummel him with machine gun fire.

If someone confirms that these scenes are there, it's the unrated.