'Gods and Generals' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Gods and Generals' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of 'Gods and Generals' is up. He says the film itself is problematic, and unfortunately this Blu-ray follows suit with a soft transfer and a bland set of supplemental features that drag the entire release down.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1001...dgenerals.html
Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 PM

I wonder if the extra 20GB available on a BD-50 disc would have helped with the PQ?
Old 10-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed View Post
Kenneth's review of 'Gods and Generals' is up. He says the film itself is problematic, and unfortunately this Blu-ray follows suit with a soft transfer and a bland set of supplemental features that drag the entire release down.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1001...dgenerals.html

I thought the movie was done much better then Gettysburg, and Gettysburg in my opinion was a great movie ! I own the sd version and I own the BD version. The "reviewer" claims the battles in G and G are laughable due to the re-enactors. What did he expect ? 2000 Al Pacino's ?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo976 View Post
I wonder if the extra 20GB available on a BD-50 disc would have helped with the PQ?
I'll let you know as soon as I Upgrade &/or Downgrade red2Blu
Old 04-24-2009, 02:50 PM

Subject to his correction, I think the reviewer has very little little to NO knowledge, experience, &/or expertise in Military Science in general and WbtS period specific knowledge.

The reenactors were wonderful, compared to some of those is Gettysburg. Like the lard but Confederate Sergeant.

In Gettysburg, Lee is effeminate & Longstreet's facial hair SO fake looking.

In G&G, which I've seen hundreds of times @ the Theatre, on DVD & HD DVD, Chamberlain & Hancock HAVE GROWN way too FAT for their roles; they should've special effected &/or edited that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd1 View Post
The "reviewer" claims the battles in G and G are laughable due to the re-enactors.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM

Please feel free to correct me if I am in error.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simón Bolívar View Post
Subject to his correction, I think the reviewer has very little little to NO knowledge, experience, &/or expertise in Military Science in general and WbtS period specific knowledge.
A movie can be 100% historically and factually accurate and still be a terrible bore.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
A movie can be 100% historically and factually accurate and still be a terrible bore.
perhaps to you & probably others; but doubtful to someone who named his twins sons Lee & Jackson or, to someone who can correct the dialogue & CC ERRORs, misquotes of the Bible, et Cetera
Old 04-24-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simón Bolívar View Post

perhaps to you & probably others; but doubtful to someone who named his twins sons Lee & Jackson or, to someone who can correct the dialogue & CC ERRORs, misquotes of the Bible, et Cetera
Whatever floats your boat I guess. I think this is an agree ot disagree thing. Without the intimate knowledge and interest in the subject matter, I ended up finding it pretty difficult to sit through. Were I more highly in tune with the subject as you are, I can definitely see the attraction.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 PM

agree to disagree, agreeably ;

it was what kept the peace in these united States of America for so long before, and after tWbtS