'Masters of Horror: Vol. 1' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-05-2007, 01:46 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Masters of Horror: Vol. 1' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Peter's review of 'Masters of Horror: Season One - Vol 1.' As a Blu-ray release, he says this one is solid but not exemplary: the video quality is quite nice, the audio is certainly acceptable, and while Starz hasn't ported over any of the video-based extras from the earlier DVDs, at least we do get some nice audio commentaries.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/965/...rror_s1v1.html
Old 10-05-2007, 02:13 PM

Great review. I will not be picking these up.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:20 PM

The Masters of Horror should have been called the Masters of Boring.

The only one that I have loved was "Imprint" by Takashi Miike.

I enjoyed Cigarette Burns.
I liked Dance of the Dead.
Dreams in the Witch House was okay.
Black Cat was memorable for Jeffrey Combs' performance.

I can't really think of many good ones.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
As I caught most of the show when it was first cablecast on Showtime HD, I can say that despite not being 1080p, these are a nice (if not overwhelming) upgrade over the original airings.

Peter if you are watching on the 70" Sony XBR you are getting full 1080p resolution from this disc as it deinterlaces the 1080i signal properly.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
The Masters of Horror should have been called the Masters of Boring.

The only one that I have loved was "Imprint" by Takashi Miike.

I enjoyed Cigarette Burns.
I liked Dance of the Dead.
Dreams in the Witch House was okay.
Black Cat was memorable for Jeffrey Combs' performance.

I can't really think of many good ones.
I used to get my [email protected]@ chewed up on the dc boards for not caring for most of the MoH series-my biggest complaint is that Garris' influence is far too great upon the directors. Hardly any of the director's usual cinematic trademarks were on display. It was as if Garris gave them all storyboards to follow. I realize the man needed to have some unity to the show but I always thought he went too far. I really only like the Gordon eps.
And I would also get attacked because I find only a few of MIIKE's films enjoyable. Audition, Yokai and Happiness.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Banned

lmao its 1080i and not p.

Stupid showtime.

I was considering picking these up, but they aren't very damn long, and 1080i only sucks. and a somewhat hefty price tag on it..
Old 10-05-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny gaunt View Post
I used to get my [email protected]@ chewed up on the dc boards for not caring for most of the MoH series-my biggest complaint is that Garris' influence is far too great upon the directors. Hardly any of the director's usual cinematic trademarks were on display. It was as if Garris gave them all storyboards to follow. I realize the man needed to have some unity to the show but I always thought he went too far. I really only like the Gordon eps.
And I would also get attacked because I find only a few of MIIKE's films enjoyable. Audition, Yokai and Happiness.
I am of the opinion that Mick Garris is not very talented as a director or writer. His stuff is, in my estimation, horrible.

I don't know how it came to pass that he was called a "master of horror" anyway.

Sure, Stephen King likes Mick Garris and Mick Garris has directed a lot of Stephen King stuff, but the fact remains that most Stephen King adaptations aren't very good.

The Shawshank Redemption was good... from "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption."

The Green Mile was good...

Stand By Me was good... from "The Body" in "Different Seasons."

What were some Stephen King horror movies? I haven't liked many, as I have read the books and have found all the movies lacking, especially the ones Mick Garris did.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:38 PM

I only caught 2 episodes from this series, and I must say I did not like either one... These will be a rental at best...
Old 10-08-2007, 03:27 AM

I notice this has only PCM audio... will most players convert this to DD/DTS as they do DD+, DTS-HD etc? My receiver supports up to 6.1 dts-es or dd-ex through optical, no hdmi input. Would I be able to hear this disc on my PS3, and would it be in surround?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:19 PM

Have to say I'm a little surprised this is only 1080i.... like others I like SOME of the episodes shown, I could not stand Jennifer... really liked the final episode of season one and season two kicked off strongly...

Needless to say I shall be picking these up