Question on Blu-ray movies from an HD DVD owner. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Question on Blu-ray movies from an HD DVD owner.

I was showing some friends last night HD-DVD movies. Most were amazed by the picture. A few were really upbeat about the special features like instant pop ups to change scenes or get the Director talk on a scene. It was really cool.
Problem I was having was answering some of the questions about Blu-Ray. Now I am a fan of HD-DVD but I pride myself on telling my friends (and anyone else who wants to know) the truth about the competition.
The question that kept being asked, "Did Blu-Ray have the same features on its disks as the HD-DVD?". Like pop-up scene selection while watching the movies. Stuff like that.
Is Blu-Ray as different as HD-DVD? Or is it a 1080P version of the regular DVD disk?
Thanks
And in truth if a combo player comes out in March-April with a less than $1000 dollars I will buy it. For now it was to cheap to get into HD-DVD for just 199 dollars.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

Yes Blu-ray has the same pop-up scene selections.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Yes Blu-ray has the same pop-up scene selections.
What titles? I thought they were still working on that feature. Sorry, I read the OP to fast, I thought you were talking about PiP commentary within the movie.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 AM

Well.... I own a Sony BDP-S1....

On the disc of LXG it has the pop up menus (during play) like my Tosh A1 (Hd-DVD)......

Now being objective here.... The A1 runs the menu's very smoothly.... where the S1 runs them very choppy..... it appears that the Sony just doesn't have enough memory to run the menus during playback very well.... and the selection lag will drive you crazy.....

Lego
Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post
What titles? I thought they were still working on that feature. Sorry, I read the OP to fast, I thought you were talking about PiP commentary within the movie.
The Descent has PIP but only ps3 can play pip right now I think.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 AM

virtually all blu-ray titles i have played has the seamless high quality pop up menu from within the movie.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocknight View Post
The Descent has PIP but only ps3 can play pip right now I think.
That is misleading. Only HD-DVD is capable of true PiP right now. From what I understand, the Descent has a second copy of the movie on the BD with a PiP like image edited in (versus true PiP where it is the same copy of the movie with a second stream of info piped in.) I think this is because a combination of the BD-J capabities not being reached as quickly as iHD, along with limitations of the players.

While both should be able to run the menus, BD has yet to demonstrate the possibility of internet connectivity using BD-J.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:22 PM

So the end answer is while both have pop up menus during movie playback, HD DVD has many more capabilities fro extras through a combination of networking, HDi , and simutaneous playback of multiple streams. Some Blu-ray supporters will claim it can do the latter, but in reality what they do is the same as filming the movie twice, one with PiP in it and one without - this is a farce and do branching between them. The dynamic way HD DVD does it is much more flexible and space efficient.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenator View Post
Only HD-DVD is capable of true PiP right now. From what I understand, the Descent has a second copy of the movie on the BD with a PiP like image edited in (versus true PiP where it is the same copy of the movie with a second stream of info piped in.)
Can this be confirmed? Because all I've seen so far is people "speculating" and "hearing rumors" about this issue. It seems they don't want to accept the possibility that Blu-ray can now do everything that HD DVD can. Granted it only plays on a few players, it still has that capability. If it were two versions encoded on the same disc (are the video bitrates the same? I haven't tried the movie myself on my PS3 to confirm), and the PiP is not credited as true BD-J, then why are there so many BD players having problems with The Descent's special features which seem to be a version of BD-J that most BD players can't run smoothly until they have a firmware upgrade? The BD-J features on the Fox movies seem to run smoothly from all I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenator View Post
While both should be able to run the menus, BD has yet to demonstrate the possibility of internet connectivity using BD-J.
Are you talking about connectivity or interactivity? Because the PS3 and Pioneer models have internet connectivity and I don't think that has anything to do with BD-J. As for interactivity, that will be the realm of BD-Live, I believe, which has yet to be implemented. Although I have yet to see any kind of internet interactivity from HD DVD either.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 PM

With the PiP yes it was confirmed by TalkSt8t who is an insider for BD on the AVS forums. I'm sure future releases will feature true PiP this year though.