Lara Croft: Tomb Raider -- High-Def Digest - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 AM
PeterB

Thumbs down Lara Croft: Tomb Raider -- High-Def Digest

Making my way through all the Paramount Blu-ray launch titles.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/laracrofttombraider.html

Another wash in the Blu-ray versus HD DVD debate, though to be honest neither version looks all that great. A weak source is the main problem with this one...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:19 AM

I havent seen the Blu version but the HD-DVD version is not too good. Not terrible mind you. But not good. I think that you are correct in that it just wasnt filmed/produced well.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Shame about this as I thought the film was quite fun. May hold out for a better release at some point in the future.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:25 AM

You would think if the HD-DVD release looked terrible that Paramount would wait and try to remaster the print or fix it up instead of re-releasing the same garbage. Do they think us early adopters are stupid?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 PM

Default I wasn't too impressed by it either.

For a movie that came out in what was it 2000 or 01? IT really didn't look that good. It looked pretty grainy. They could've done a better job on it. Surprisingly a movie that came out in the late 80's Leathal weapon looked better than this one. So I totally agree with you guy's.
Mischa.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:00 PM

You can only fix so much. As I said I dont think that this movie was filmed and or produced well. So the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray can only make it look like it does on film. Which is not good.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:24 PM

I think we'll get the same encodings on both formats for evry release.
So that means there will never be a difference in pq.
IMHO.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osko View Post
I think we'll get the same encodings on both formats for evry release.
So that means there will never be a difference in pq.
IMHO.
I am afraid I must disagree. We might get the same MASTER for most releases but the encodings might be different. Alot if not all of the movies released on both formats are taken from the HD-DVD version. Also codex plays a huge role IMHO. Mpeg-2 just doesnt stand up to VC-1. The Blu-Ray releases have been on par with or worse than the HD-DVD versions according to most reviewers.

p.s. It seems difficult to discuss the merits and demerits of a subjective issue such as this outside of the smackdown forum.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:07 PM

What I meant was, that the files for the movie are probably the same only on different kinds of disks.
I'm talking about the movies that were released on both formats with the same codec.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osko View Post
What I meant was, that the files for the movie are probably the same only on different kinds of disks.
I'm talking about the movies that were released on both formats with the same codec.
Yes in this regard they would be the same. Where the file is comming from wouldnt matter. HD-DVD,Blu-Ray, or off of a Hard Drive for that matter.