'Wyatt Earp' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-02-2007, 02:14 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Wyatt Earp' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of 'Wyatt Earp' is up. Although opinions differ on the film itself, he says this one's a middle-of-the-road Blu-ray release, featuring average video and a weak supplemental package.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1005/wyattearp.html
Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 AM

I am glad I waited for the review on this one. I liked the movie...just wanted to see how some of the reviews were for this one. Gonna have to think about this one now.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Wyatt Earp: a review

I think that Wyatt Earp is a great western epic. Assembled is a cast that reminds me of a film like "The Outsiders", or going back further in movie history, "The Longest Day". Everyone in the film is a famous and capable actor.

I saw both "Tombstone" and "Wyatt Earp" in the theater and all my friends preferred "Tombstone". Then again, they like Steven Seagal movies too.

"Wyatt Earp" is a far broader, essential picture of the man. Costner skillfully fleshes out the character morphing from a bright eyed innocent to a stiff- necked uncompromising seemingly invincible lawman. Hackmans performance brings tears to the eyes as a stern, but loving father as stubborn as Wyatt in his own way.

The sweeping vistas of the American west fill the screen with gorgeous cinematography.

I actually prefer the extended director's cut of the film (which I still own on Laserdisc) becauseit maintains a better pase and includes some interesting scenes that were cut for length from the theatrical version.

I now own "Wyatt Earp" on Blu-ray and am very impressed with the transfer.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM

I have to admit I'm a Costner fan, so I'll probably end up buying it.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
I think that Wyatt Earp is a great western epic. Assembled is a cast that reminds me of a film like "The Outsiders", or going back further in movie history, "The Longest Day". Everyone in the film is a famous and capable actor.

I saw both "Tombstone" and "Wyatt Earp" in the theater and all my friends preferred "Tombstone". Then again, they like Steven Seagal movies too.
Wyatt Earp is certainly the more artistically ambitious film, but it's also rather dull in places and skims over big chunks of the story, almost as if Kasdan assumes you've seen previous Earp movies and feels like he doesn't need to cover those parts again.

Tombstone is a shallow, superficial film, but it's quite entertaining.

I like both movies for what they are. Neither is perfect.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Wyatt Earp is certainly the more artistically ambitious film, but it's also rather dull in places and skims over big chunks of the story, almost as if Kasdan assumes you've seen previous Earp movies and feels like he doesn't need to cover those parts again.

Tombstone is a shallow, superficial film, but it's quite entertaining.

I like both movies for what they are. Neither is perfect.
That's true. I remember seeing them both in the Theaters way back when, and I also enjoyed them both, with a little preference for Tombstone.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evivbulgroz View Post
That's true. I remember seeing them both in the Theaters way back when, and I also enjoyed them both, with a little preference for Tombstone.
I agree. Although the pq rating on this review makes me wonder if this movie warrants a BD purchase.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
I actually prefer the extended director's cut of the film (which I still own on Laserdisc) becauseit maintains a better pase and includes some interesting scenes that were cut for length from the theatrical version.
I own the laserdisc as well, and agree with your assessment.

The different Doc Hollidays are interesting. I didn't recognize Dennis Quaid under the makeup and with the accent, and consider this to be his best screen performance by far. But Val Kilmer is very effective, and actually does look to be ill!

Although the BR version of this movie may not be the best in terms of transfer and audio, I feel fortunate that we have it in high def at such an early date. Particularly since the film was not really a success at the box office.

I just wish they had done a seamless branching version with the original and extended cuts. That would have been sweet.

Anyway, while it's not a reference quality transfer, it is acceptable, better than the DVD, and reasonably priced. I'm glad to have it!

Edit: And the James Newton Howard soundtrack is gorgeous (as always)!

David

Last edited by BigDave; 10-05-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added comment....
Old 11-13-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evivbulgroz View Post
+1. Although the video quality doesn't warrant the purchase for me. I am hoping Tombstone will come out and will be looking better than ever
Old 02-19-2012, 06:22 PM

as usual, when he says rent, I BUY!!!