'Rent' -- pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-01-2007, 03:20 PM
PeterB

Default 'Rent' -- pre-release buzz

Sony's gonna pay a little of their own rent by releasing 'Rent' on Blu-ray December 11:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/rent.html

No specs yet, but the standard DVD was pretty loaded, so hopefullly most if not all of that material will make it over.

Retail is $28.98.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:30 PM

"Rent" the movie... every Wife's dream, every Husband's nightmare.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiequest View Post
"Rent" the movie... every Wife's dream, every Husband's nightmare.
You kidding?! It's a good movie. I don't understand how you don't like it and I don't LIKE Musicals.
Oh and as to the poster it was either shot on High Def or mastered on it or both. Look on the back of the DVD and it lists it. For all we know the extra's were shot on HD and downconverted. Regardless I'm looking forward to hearing about the sound reviews since it has Lossless.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:26 PM

I didn't see this so I won't pass judgement.

Oh, what the hell: NO FREAKING WAY!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Choices

This is what I like about Blu-ray. It gives a little from something from each genre and counters to all tastes. Choices are vital for new a new format to please early adopters and entice new adopters.
I haven't seen this but I know some people who liked it & I'm sure there are alot who did so kudos for them. Enjoy !!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-def-fanboy View Post
This is what I like about Blu-ray. It gives a little from something from each genre and counters to all tastes. Choices are vital for new a new format to please early adopters and entice new adopters.
I haven't seen this but I know some people who liked it & I'm sure there are alot who did so kudos for them. Enjoy !!
No SONY offers those extra genre's up, especially Foreign. On the other hand their catalog offerings leave much to be desired, especially in comparison to Warner.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:46 AM

Great! This will be just great on blu-ray, and as usual, Sony will give it uncompressed PCM, what a musical needs!! Now if only Universal would release The Producers (musical) with Dolby True HD, I just might get myself a hd-dvd player (I am waiting for the Samsung combi, though, now delayed until December). So far, I am not thrilled with most of the hd-dvd-only releases. I wish Universal would go back before 1975 and release a few classics like Sweet Charity or Thoroughly Modern Millie or a few of the Hitchcock, but alas, classic fans have few films to behold (as of now), especially musical fans. Musicals are where the uncompressed sound will stand out, but I fear the studios will not give those movies Dolby True, 5.1 pcm or DTS HD, like Warner is doing (no uncompressed on any classic).
Old 10-02-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
No SONY offers those extra genre's up, especially Foreign. On the other hand their catalog offerings leave much to be desired, especially in comparison to Warner.
I agree with you completely. Here is Sony promoting its own format, and they own the MGM (United Artists) libraries and the Columbia libraries, and they are releasing alot of junk. Makes no sense. They could be releasing more winning movies, to try and help the format look more attractive. There are a few, though...Close Encounters will be awesome.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:40 AM

I think this has been a smart move on Sonys part (delivering different kinds of movies, not just those that would typically appeal to an hd adapter). Although this movie might be total crap compared to the stage show, there are people out there who like it. One of the reasons I chose blu ray is because of the variety I would be getting with the movies and the companies have delivered!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu View Post
I think this has been a smart move on Sonys part (delivering different kinds of movies, not just those that would typically appeal to an hd adapter). Although this movie might be total crap compared to the stage show, there are people out there who like it. One of the reasons I chose blu ray is because of the variety I would be getting with the movies and the companies have delivered!
Do I have to say this until my voice gets hoarse? It's only Sony in terms of a big studio offering a variety of contemporary offerings, you see this in "Tekkonkinkreet", "Paprika", "2046", "Black Book" and "Volver" on BR. On the other hand only Warner has been offering a decent variety of catalog stuff or at least older titles the age of which we've seen very little from others. You see this in "Casablanca", "The Adventures Of Robin Hood", "Forbidden Planet", "The Searchers", "Wild Bunch", etc. On the other hand look at Paramount and "The Manchurian Candidate". Why didn't they release the original alongside it, maybe after or before even?
I've been complaining about Sony that where are "Ghostbusters" and "Bridge On the River Kwai".
As for the other poster I've heard Universal does plan on releasing the Hitchcock films, hopefully SOON. Also I would definitely agree with you that Musicals really benefit from Lossless more then any films except action. I mean this is because the focus is so much so on sound. All this being said I hope Universal had Cab Calloway and Ray Charles re-record their vocals and the music in 5.1 for "Blues Brothers". I mean I would love to have the music in 5.1, as long as it's from the real artists on that movie, in Lossless. As for "Rent" it's out in the Japanese market already and has PCM for the sound.
One of the big reasons I'm all about Lossless becoming big on HDM is if it becomes STANDARD then when concert HD DVD's and BR's come out of K-Pop artists I'm set. I mean otherwise Lossless will only be prevalent on most cd's put out by spoiled brat mainstream American groups, most of whose music I would consider garbage.