Regular 5.1 audio tracks on blu rays question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Regular 5.1 audio tracks on blu rays question

Do the regular english 5.1 tracks on Blu rays sound better than what they do on regular DVD? just wondering im getting a ps3 soon but i wont be able to use lossless audio till i get my new receiver
Old 09-29-2007, 11:48 AM

no they are generally the same as the DVD sometimes the bitrate is higher around 1.5mbps but since 640kbps is the lowest mandatory option thats normally all the give which is the same as DVD
Old 09-29-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post
no they are generally the same as the DVD sometimes the bitrate is higher around 1.5mbps but since 640kbps is the lowest mandatory option thats normally all the give which is the same as DVD
This is not correct. DVD's maximum Dolby Digital bitrate is 448 Kb/s (HD DVD is 504 Kb/s), and Blu-ray maxes out at 640 Kb/s, which the highest allowed bitrate for AC-3 Dolby Digital. In other words, if you go to a theater and see a movie shown with Dolby Digital sound, it's no higher than 640 Kb/s.

I think all of the Dolby Digital-only Blu-ray releases have been at 640 Kb/s, and only a few titles have used 448 Kb/s (usually only when DD is included as a secondary or tertiary audio track behind some sort of DTS, which everyone can use).

All of the 1.5 Mb/s tracks you see on HD DVD are Dolby Digital Plus, since the legacy Dolby Digital doesn't go up that high.

I personally find that 640 Kb/s Dolby Digital is comparable to DTS on DVD, which is 768 Kb/s (DVD almost always uses the half-rate DTS--theater and HDM DTS is 1.5 Mb/s, which is the actual specification). When it's done right, Dolby Digital on HDM can be very good, and I've never really been impressed with a Dolby track on DVD. Mission Impossible 3 is actually the disc that made me say, "Wow, Dolby Digital is a pretty good format after all."
Old 09-29-2007, 09:21 PM

So blu rays will sound just about as good as dts until i get my new receiver?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWrathofBambi View Post
So blu rays will sound just about as good as dts until i get my new receiver?

Actually...I think much better.

This is a quote from someone on the AVS forum and I toally agree:

"DD is wayyy more efficient than DTS in lossy mode. A DD track at 640kbps can easily rival a DTS one at 1.5 Mbps and surpass one at 754kbps."

If you compare just the DD 640 on Pirates Pearl, or Ghost Rider {Not talking about the PCM tracks} to the DTS tracks on the standard DVDs ,I think they sound much better than the standard DVDs dts tracks.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:49 AM

I use optical for both HD DVD and Blu-ray and the sound is pretty good.

ps whats the highest bitrate if your using optical ?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
I use optical for both HD DVD and Blu-ray and the sound is pretty good.

ps whats the highest bitrate if your using optical ?
1.5 mbps is the highest.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post
Actually...I think much better.

This is a quote from someone on the AVS forum and I toally agree:

"DD is wayyy more efficient than DTS in lossy mode. A DD track at 640kbps can easily rival a DTS one at 1.5 Mbps and surpass one at 754kbps."

If you compare just the DD 640 on Pirates Pearl, or Ghost Rider {Not talking about the PCM tracks} to the DTS tracks on the standard DVDs ,I think they sound much better than the standard DVDs dts tracks.
DTS claims transparency at 1.5 Mb/s, and Dolby claims it at 640 Kb/s.

In my opinion, Dolby tracks sound thinner than DTS tracks. To me, it just sounds like a few too many sounds are missing. Crashes don't hit as hard, gunshots don't resonate as much, etc. Dolby Digital is surely capable of fantastic sound, but it seems like the encodes on discs aren't always quite up to snuff. Because of the lower bitrate, encoding Dolby Digital requires more calculations and careful optimization. MI:3 shows that Dolby Digital can be mindblowing when it's done right, but in practice, that just doesn't seem to happen all that much.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX View Post
1.5 mbps is the highest.
so you can get the full benifit of DD+ if your using optical ?

I didnt know that!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
so you can get the full benifit of DD+ if your using optical ?

I didnt know that!
Yes. Unless of course the DD+ track was encoded in a bitrate higher than 1.5 mbps (DD+ has a maximum bitrate of 1.7 mbps on Blu-ray and 3 mbps on HD DVD). Although it is worth noting that no movie released has a DD+ track that exceedes 1.5 mbps.

Also, keep in mind that the first batch of standard-def DVD's encoded with DTS surround were encoded at 1.5 mbps.