'He-Man' Blu-ray, HD DVD Release "Very Likely" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'He-Man' Blu-ray, HD DVD Release "Very Likely"

We posted this one earlier today:

Quote:
2008 may just be the year of 'He-Man' on high-def, with BCI said to be seriously weighing a next-gen release for the classic cartoon character.

TVShowsonDVD.com has the first concrete details on the indie distributor's plans to bring the 2002 television version of 'He-Man and the Masters of the Universe' to disc. Spanning three separate single-disc volumes with 13 episodes a pop, the site reports that a feature-packed, remastered version of the series is currently being planned for a February 2008 DVD debut, and that there is a "better than 90%" chance of a release on Blu-ray and/or HD DVD.

According to information provided by BCI, testing of the episodes in high-def yielded "much better-quality visuals with extra depth to the scenes, more dynamic colors and greater background details."

Full Story:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1017
Old 09-28-2007, 03:49 PM

WHY????? That is what I keep saying to myself about this press release. Why release this on hi def???!!!??? I mean ...I know that anime is a positive for many people out there. But this is not anime. This was a CARTOON!! I am sure there are fans out there who would like to see a hi def release of He Man and I am trying not to offend them. BUT COME ON. What's next? Are we going to see Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry! We are trying to get hd dvd and blu-ray accepted into the minds of consumers. I just dont see the reason for this particular release,imho. Waste of resources and time, again imho.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
WHY????? That is what I keep saying to myself about this press release. Why release this on hi def???!!!??? I mean ...I know that anime is a positive for many people out there. But this is not anime. This was a CARTOON!! I am sure there are fans out there who would like to see a hi def release of He Man and I am trying not to offend them. BUT COME ON. What's next? Are we going to see Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry! We are trying to get hd dvd and blu-ray accepted into the minds of consumers. I just dont see the reason for this particular release,imho. Waste of resources and time, again imho.
Totally agree with you here. I don't feel like double dipping back into old cartoon series that I already have. Animated Features and Anime Movies I can see a point, but old cartoon tv series is just another way to make a quick buck.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:27 PM

nobody's telling anyone to double dip, but if HD releases of old cartoons means better picture and possibly better audio then i'm all for it. if something can be improved then why the backlash? the more variety of high def titles = more consumer interest. how is this bad?
Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manetoys View Post
nobody's telling anyone to double dip, but if HD releases of old cartoons means better picture and possibly better audio then i'm all for it. if something can be improved then why the backlash? the more variety of high def titles = more consumer interest. how is this bad?
The fact that it's "Spanning three separate single-disc volumes with 13 episodes a pop" is the first turn-off, because HD/Blu should be able to fit more than 13 episodes of animated episodes especially if they're going to justify a 20 dollar or more price tag. Secondly IMO approvements on older cartoons, and I've said this before in other topics, aren't my thing. Unless its CGI Animated/Animated Feature/Anime Movie, I don't see the point in a remaster of the old cartoon quality. I love the '70s Spiderman cartoons and bought the box set, but seeing an a redone HD version of reused drawings just won't sell for me.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Pixel View Post
The fact that it's "Spanning three separate single-disc volumes with 13 episodes a pop" is the first turn-off, because HD/Blu should be able to fit more than 13 episodes of animated episodes especially if they're going to justify a 20 dollar or more price tag. Secondly IMO approvements on older cartoons, and I've said this before in other topics, aren't my thing. Unless its CGI Animated/Animated Feature/Anime Movie, I don't see the point in a remaster of the old cartoon quality. I love the '70s Spiderman cartoons and bought the box set, but seeing an a redone HD version of reused drawings just won't sell for me.
i understand that you don't like it, but it only gives the consumer more options. the more titles on high def the better. also the 13 episode thing sounds like it's for SD DVD only and that HD & blu ray sets could possibly be in the works.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manetoys View Post
i understand that you don't like it, but it only gives the consumer more options. the more titles on high def the better. also the 13 episode thing sounds like it's for SD DVD only and that HD & blu ray sets could possibly be in the works.
I agree with giving the consumer more options. I just want them to pick another option other than this one. This is just my small, humble view on this and if people want these old and forgotten cartoons in hi def, then I hope they get made. I just cant see a reason to spend so much money on a cartoon that is aged as this one. Although I will say that the old cartoons have a certain nostalgia value to them than cartoons of today. He Man just was not that great,imho. The movie with Dolph Lundren should never be mentioned for a hi def release, again imho.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:34 PM

OH PLEASE!!!! Old cartoons in high def is PERFECT!!! All the frieking classics including HE MAN all restored to take advantage of better clarity. Though I doubt that we'd ever see all of them in HD ( we barely have them on SD) it would still be beneficial to me to have it in HD. No macroblocking or blurryness of th SD or even worse, VHS copies from TV.

Bring it on! Then bring me The Centurians, Scooby Doo, Silverhawks, Bionic Six, and whole slew of classics that would benefit from the added clarity.

But for a reasonable price , please.

Oh and the He Man movie was good in its campyness. That little orc cracked me up.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 AM

Too kiddy for me. Not interested.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Too kiddy for me. Not interested.
Actually that's not the case if I remember the cartoon. The cartoon is a lot darker than the original series.