'The Wild Bunch' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'The Wild Bunch' - High-Def Digest review

Although this Blu-ray edition of 'The Wild Bunch' apparently doesn't correct the audio issues of its DVD predecessors, Kenneth says the enduring film, excellent video quality and a comprehensive set of extras still earn this one a solid recommend.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1003/wildbunch.html
Old 09-27-2007, 03:51 PM

Default This is getting old

From Brackle's incorrect information in the "Top Gun" review, to Brown's grammar errors in the first sentence ("the thief who intends follow a godly path after one final dance with the devil") this site really needs to get its act together.

I've purchased a number of blu-rays from Amazon through the site's advertising links, but with the poor quality of these reviews, I'm not sure how much longer I will be reading them. When I see so many mistakes, it makes me question the validity of the areas of the review I do care about, which are the audio and video ratings.

I said it on the "Top Gun" discussion board, and I will say it again here. This site needs to hire professional reviewers or copy editors. As an editor of the Arizona State University Law School Newspaper, I try and produce the most professional paper I can, despite the fact that only about 200 people will read it. This website, which reaches a much larger audience, should hold itself up to at least a minimum standard.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblekreed View Post
From Brackle's incorrect information in the "Top Gun" review, to Brown's grammar errors in the first sentence ("the thief who intends follow a godly path after one final dance with the devil") this site really needs to get its act together.

I've purchased a number of blu-rays from Amazon through the site's advertising links, but with the poor quality of these reviews, I'm not sure how much longer I will be reading them. When I see so many mistakes, it makes me question the validity of the areas of the review I do care about, which are the audio and video ratings.

I said it on the "Top Gun" discussion board, and I will say it again here. This site needs to hire professional reviewers or copy editors. As an editor of the Arizona State University Law School Newspaper, I try and produce the most professional paper I can, despite the fact that only about 200 people will read it. This website, which reaches a much larger audience, should hold itself up to at least a minimum standard.
There's more going on here than you may realize. When a studio screener arrives later than the date of an HD DVD or Blu-ray's release, we run out and find a copy (on store shelves) so we can get a review loaded as quickly as possible so consumers have the best information possible.

When this happens, we try to get our reviews turned around immediately without sacrificing the detail and breadth of our content. In the mix and the rush for the reader's benefit, we may miss a typo or fact -- even though the review has still gone through print editors and our own eyes several times.

The other thing to consider is that sometimes when an editor is reworking a sentence, he can make a simple error in his cut-and-pasting (in this case, he likely highlighted part of the sentence in his editing field and missed the word "to"). He could even misinterpret a fact that's correctly written when he's rewording a sentence (editors can't see every film out there so it would be easy for this to occur). There are dozens of factors that, when applied to hundreds of variables in a review, lead to inevitable and minor oversights.

I can't think of a single publication or website, regardless of readership or clout, that hasn't had to retract an incorrect statement or has gone to press without a typo. Open any news magazine like Newsweek or Time and they have a mini-section dedicated to apologizing for errors.

I appreciate your fervor and passion, but please keep in mind that we are not all-seeing computers that produce perfection. We're error-prone humans that work very hard to give readers the best and most accurate information possible on a very crunched time schedule.

Thanks as always for posting! Pointing out errors are very helpful as we can fix them immediately. Feel free to contact us directly instead of delaying the correction by posting it on the message boards.

Last edited by Ken Brown; 09-27-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM

I bought this a long time ago but finally got around to watching it today. A very impressive looking Blu-ray for a 40-year old film. The film itself is quite good too.

I recommend this (and some of the other Warner westerns like The Searchers and Rio Bravo) to anyone.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM

also finally checked this one out.
absolutely incredible.
this has to be one of the finest films yet released on bd, and is an absolute masterclass of genius filmmaking.
William Holden's performance is a revelation, and the cinematography and editing is some of the best I think I have ever seen.
The brilliant Peckinpah really shows what an inventive director can do with scope film, and
anyone out there bored with newer Hollywood dreck should rent or buy this one immediately.
just a gritty, uncompromising masterpiece of a movie with mesmerizing characterizations and an utterly compelling storyline.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
also finally checked this one out.
Just now, Arkadin? I'm shocked. Glad you finally checked it out. It's in my personal top 20.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:27 PM

yeah I'm always trying to catch up with the hundreds of classic films I've read about for years.
It is amazing that I hadn't seen this one since yesterday.
I am kind of ashamed now that I see how incredible it is.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I am kind of ashamed now that I see how incredible it is.
Would that we could see them all!

Don't be ashamed; just enjoy those tasty between-first-and-second-viewings "What am I gonna learn next time?" thoughts.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM

I just blind bought this for $3, with free shipping, from Frys.